Thread: Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Hybrid View

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh/Raagas,

I do not agree with the point that re-using the old tune is easy... Rather it might be less time consuming as there is one less thing to do.. but given IR's spontaneity and speed, this is a non-issue... To me what IR does here is trying to give a new wine in a old cup - Not Old wine in a new bottle.. The reason i say this is once the tune is set, i guess your boundaries are set somewhat ( just like tuning to a pre-written lyrics .. and that is one reason i consider Thiruvasagam to be his highest musical achievement ) - In my opinion, for IR creativity is not a issue when given 360 Deg freedom.. There can be no two ways about this.. But now, Balki asks for Thumbee Vaa to be given, but about 20+ years later.. and he has to do it in tune with the current standards and yet satisfy Balki ( and old timers like us ) who have grown with that old melody.. There can be no better challenge than constraining a spontaneous creator like IR.. Personally i still like Thumbee Vaa much better than Gum Sum.. But the fact that I have given 20 yrs to Thumbee vaa and < 2 weeks to Gum Sum is not a fair comparison.

One thing I am not sure is , if Balki would just gvie a list of his old melodies and let IR choose or he asking specifically for THumbee Vaa to be used.. ( i am wondering that Thumbee was chosen for the Kids Chorus situation here in Paa more than anything.. )

Cheers
    MSK

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement