Page 14 of 150 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the Last Ilaiyaraja song you listened to? - Part 2.

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK.. I have an arrogant confidence now that the song I am going to post here would be enjoyed by almost everyone here.

I must thank Ushagaaru here firstly. She recently posted a song called "Artha Raathri" in Song of the Day thread. It is from a film called Urangatha Ninaivukal. The film was new to me. I browsed other songs and came across this Gem of a creation.

http://www.paadal.com/album/urangaatha_ninaivukal

Listen to the song "Narumana Malagalin". I dont know how this song escaped my attention till now. It is very much in the league of songs from Ninaivelam Nithya or Tik Tik Tik or any of those outstanding fusion based numbers that IR has created.

The rhythm is so damn freaky.Thumba drum and Mridangam. And the bass line, the soli violin, the guitar..

I get so damn greedy that I want IR to re-do this whole composition, exactly as it is.. today, with better recording equipment.

This song is new to me. Those who are in same boat as I am.. will freak out. And those who heard it before will only smile at me. whatever, I am enjoying this song to the peak. IR is one mad genius. Period.
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    raagas,
    Thanks a lot forthe song and for the link.

Thraipadal work agamal kashta padaren.

Beautiful Description about this somg.

SJ madhiri - Oru jeevanoda padara singer
    yaru nu yosikaren.

IR - indha style ai - konjam consider pannalam........
    Usha Sankar

Post Thanks / Like
    Maama maalai neram
    - Ambigai Neril Vandhal

SJ's Rendition - Gives a Value to the song.

Romba munnadi SOTD la solli iruken indha paatai.

Majestic Sounds from the Wind instruments.

Lovely Beats......

IR's Guitar Works.....

guitar pesaradhai konjamum Gavanikadha SJ.....

SJ speaks with the beats...

Excellent Tabla ........... Violin responses perfectly...

Call and Response betweetn this Tabla and the Violin.....
    Usha Sankar

Post Thanks / Like
    Yella alagamma - Tirunelveli

Arunmozhi and KSC

Nice rendition by Arunmozhi and KSC

Very sweet folk song.......

(Ravi nat dhan sollanam. idhu ellam enna type Ice Cream nu)

my opinion is - plain Venila...
    Usha Sankar

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    raagas..

Narumana Malargalin - Great Strike !

Post Thanks / Like
    raagas,

Your arrogant confidence is well placed As Saagar says, a lovely strike. A sixer which clears the boundary and the stadium. Never heard this before. And you very rightly placed this in the 'Tik Tik Tik' league. What a crazy genius this man is!!! Watch how he plays with us by keeping a very tight melodic line and not revealing the raga at the same time. The indications of Reethi Gowla exist but that it what it is, indications.

One side effect of going to the songs pointed by Usha is that you will land up in such unexpected gems.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    raagas,

Your arrogant confidence is well placed As Saagar says, a lovely strike. A sixer which clears the boundary and the stadium. Never heard this before. And you very rightly placed this in the 'Tik Tik Tik' league. What a crazy genius this man is!!! Watch how he plays with us by keeping a very tight melodic line and not revealing the raga at the same time. The indications of Reethi Gowla exist but that it what it is, indications.

One side effect of going to the songs pointed by Usha is that you will land up in such unexpected gems.
    technically that song is brilliant, but what melts my heart is the mouname song - it hits some sweet spots in my heart that I stop in a trance...
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    another gem "yen peru meenakshi" from kalyana katchery - has all the ingredients of the 1980s IR! the tune going up when SJ sings "nethu rathiri thookum" is vintage IR, and the guitar pluckings in the pallavi are IR's own style of funky jazz done 2 decades ago!

http://www.paadal.com/search?q=yen%2...fieldName=song

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    raagas,

technically that song is brilliant, but what melts my heart is the mouname song - it hits some sweet spots in my heart that I stop in a trance...
    Can't agree more ..today I like azhagE azhagu dEvadhai vs andhi mazhai from raajapaarvai ..music is weird..arrangements..techniques..orchestration all take a back seat when the emotion is all it counts..
    I have mentioned this before - for MSV it is just tune and tabla, for IR it is tune + tabla + bass guitar is all they need to create their masterpiece.

Post Thanks / Like
    kiru,

Very true. One of the reasons why I love the old masterpieces, be it Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam or Hindi. The accent was on the emotion.

At the same time there is a definitely thrill when orchestration falls in place complementing the tune. One of the reasons why we listen to Raja again and again is that fact that there is something hidden and we make new discoveries every time. Very similar to how I feel when I listen to a group like 'Cream'. You can concentrate on any one aspect, be it the tune, the percussion, the bass guitar, the stings section or on how the whole thing comes together. Every aspect in minute detail will give you joy.