Page 73 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: MAESTRO ILAIYARAAJA NEWS & TITBITS VER.2010-2011

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Btw, SRK is not shelved. The movie is made and the songs are recorded too. Just that it lying in cans. I dont care much about the film but I hope atleast the music releases. Given that it was a combination of raaja-Gulzar, i was so optimistic about it.
    I always felt that the lyrics of both Cheeni Kum and Paa would have been amazing if they were by Gulzar. especially Cheeni Kum, because no one is better than Gulzar, in articulating the romantic thoughts of an aged person (or of a child). Infact, Gulzar should be the lyricist Ilaiyaraaja should turn to, for Hindi ventures because they of almost same age and still going strong in their respective fields. I have a hunch that they can connect well!
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sengaathu Bhoomiyile is the movie which Raja is also distributing..Seems like Raja was very impressed with the script, that means we can expect some good folky numbers.The disappointing thing is the publicity..Of late all Raja Tamil movies,other than his fans,noone even seems to be aware..The poor marketing fiasco continues..

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Friends

Releasing new audio - SENGAATHU BOOMIYILE, music by Ilaiyaraaja.

The function is on 23rd April 2011, 6.30pm at Film Chamber, Chennai.

Attached is the invitation and please visit our youtube clip for audio preview and caller tune codes.

(Sent on behalf of Agilan) !

Thank you

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raagas View Post
    Vel,

From that video, we can gather that there are 5 songs in the film and 2 of them seem to be melodies. Interesting! looking forward to the album. Is it out in the stores?
    I get a distinct "Chinnathaayee" feel when listening to the clips.
    Also thanks for the "tabla" that simply reinforces my faith in GOD.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Same here Suresh. Happi is the album I am looking forward to because it is special on many counts:

1. Raaja's Hindi album - To see what Raaja does in Hindi where tamil tunes are not rehashed (i think this film has fresh tunes). So it is like starting with a clean slate, on an unfamiliar territory.

2. collaboration with a Hindi/North India based film-maker - I always wanted to see what the film-makers based in Bombay/delhi would like hear from Raaja. What can they extract from him? Or rather what can Raaja deliver to their sensibilities? Given that he somehow could not make any significant inroads into Hindi film music (despite being respected by them), this film is a litmus test to see if he can tame that game or not. His previous hindi films are mostly by South Indian film-makers (Balu Mahendra, Kamal Haasan, Ramgopal Varma and Balki - tamilian anyway,though he made hindi films). Somewhere, Raaja understood their thoughts and the language of their needs and catered accordingly. But this time - it is a different game.

3. Sensibilities of film-maker - Bhavana Talwar's previous film 'Dharm' did impress me. Though Raaja has some experience of working with women film-makers (no discrimination as such, but it is always interesting to see the taste of a woman film-maker) such as the lady who made Vishwa Tulasi, this time, he is collaborating with a woman film-maker (who is into non-commercial films) whose preferences seem to be western classical music and the music of S.D.Burman & Madan Mohan (from the interview of Bhavana Talwar).

4. Experimental Film - This is a non-commercial/experimental/parallel cinema kind of film that is now being turned into Black & white. The songs are sung by lead actor Pankaj Kapoor, who has probably never sung before.

Given these factors and context, in my opinion, this should be the most awaited album for Ilaiyaraaja fans. If Raaja breaks the myth (that he couldnt cater to Hindi sensibilities), then it could be a big turning point for his career as well. I am doubtful if the film will be successful enough to spin its music sales too. But still, if music lovers appreciate the album - it will be an achievement and prove his detractors wrong.
    No need to be apprehensive about Raja working with women film makers.
    He has done tremendous work for B.R.Vijayalakshmi in "Paattu paadavaa" and the score he gave for suhasini's penn TV episode was hair rising.
    Even recently, he gave the superb "Enge nee sendraalum" and couple of other good songs for Leena moovendhar in "KannukkuLLe" (note to A_E - I am biased, but not to lose my musical ear totally).
    Also Raja saranam would vouch for the music Raaja gave for "Akka mahadevi verses" for a documentary shot by a woman director (i dont remember her name here).
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Raaja's Hindi album - To see what Raaja does in Hindi where tamil tunes are not rehashed (i think this film has fresh tunes). So it is like starting with a clean slate, on an unfamiliar territory.
    Raaja's Chal Chalein was a clean slate

JG,
    Scribbles on Akka was directed by Madhusree dutta

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    BTW I've already started liking Sengaathu Boomiyile Album from these short clips

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaiganes & Rajasaranam,

did i sound apprehensive about women film-makers(hey, I am not a chauvinist )? I only meant that the album could be 'special' because of that aspect too, apart from other aspects. I didnt know about who directed Paattu Paadava but I knew about Scribbles on Akka. It is precisely what I meant - it'd be interesting to see what a woman film-maker (with a good film behind her) with good music taste would have got from raaja.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajasaranam View Post
    Raaja's Chal Chalein was a clean slate
    Ah yes, I forgot about this album. But somehow, this album didnt leave that nice an impression on me. I listened to it few times but wasnt impressed. one hariharan song had a good melody and thats about it (for me). I mean, I would any day prefer to Sadma, Paa, Shiva-2006 or Cheeni Kum over Chal Chalein.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like Agilan is planning to finally release the classic Eera Vizhi Kaaviyangal..
    Check out this video with lovely Raja pics..its an EVK Special..Enjoy