View Poll Results: What does language mean to you?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just a means of communication

5 33.33%
  • I am passionate about it

10 66.67%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Languages : Just a medium for communication or a barrier?

Hybrid View

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoushka
    For me language is more than just a means of communication... When I learn a new language I enjoy the songs in that language, get to read the books in original language, learn more from talking to people in their language and learning more
    Human preference Anoushka akka...even i have the same rpeference when someone talks to me in chaste tamil...but problem is when you put it down in reality most of these come under forms of communication....

PS: Hows your baby going?...all fine i hope :P

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podalangai
    A lot of scientists say that a language fundamentally shapes how we see the world. In other words, the language(s) we speak contribute to giving us the world view we have. So it is definitely more than a means of communication. It is a part of who we are.

so i believe you guys know that i want real-life purposes as in how it helps human beings survive other than forms of communication.
    If by "real life purposes" you mean only practical things then fine, language is only useful for communication. But if you are interested in looking at things like culture, then language plays a very significant role in creating and preserving culture.
    I believe in practical things and i am not really interested in culture..to be abit more straightforward..i do not support theories that may act as dividers in the human race and culture,religion,race are some of them and especially if they are misused to cause discomfort/harm to others(we got to remember that all of these dividers are manmade)...i thought of adding language but without a basic common language it will be tough for humans to communicate with each other. Nice point podalangai sir

Post Thanks / Like
    Podalangai sir another point to note...perhaps language may have another significance like scientists say...it may lead to know who we are...in other words what would have been the one and only original language of human beings before so many languages came into existence..is it pictorial language seen in caves or was there a verbal form of communication used then which might have been adapted into the countless number of languages we see today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically it would be interesting and nice if we just kept our wide range of cultures and languages as a form of knowledge and interest but problem is people use it as a form of separating them from others and also force/persuade their offspring and those following a similar culture/language to learn that as well...i do not appreciate this one bit and i firmly believe in individual rights..people should have their preference of what to learn and what to follow provided the culture they want to learn are not against human rights.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Roshan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the digression - this is a test post. I am unable to post anything as I am getting some error messages, and finally ending up with multiple posts

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Languages : Just a medium for communication or a barrier

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkster
    i dunt mind even if a tamil person talked to me in english..and when you look at it logically its only purpose is communication..
    Hmm....while I agree w/ most of wat u say, I personally feel kinda uncomfy if a Tamizh person began talking to me in English if I first talked to/asked him sumthing in Tamizh, cos I'd either feel tat he/she thinks I cant speak Tamizh properly (& I've got a lot of tat from many native (viz. TN-based) Tamil ppl. wich gives me sum embarassment/a kinda inferiority complex ) or tat he/she is trying to prove themselves very 'educated' & find it below dig to talk even in their own language....unless ABS. MANDATORY/NECESSARY to talk in English......like for eg. if sum third person who doesnt know tamizh is present & we want to make sure they understand wat we r saying & dont feel 'left out' or confused in our presence....or if in situation where English was formally required....

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Anoushka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkster
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoushka
    For me language is more than just a means of communication... When I learn a new language I enjoy the songs in that language, get to read the books in original language, learn more from talking to people in their language and learning more
    Human preference Anoushka akka...even i have the same rpeference when someone talks to me in chaste tamil...but problem is when you put it down in reality most of these come under forms of communication....

PS: Hows your baby going?...all fine i hope :P
    maybe you are right hulk... I took communication as something to do between two or more people...

On Saturday we saw a group doing "Gidda" a punjabi dance... the music was lovely, the dance was great, but I thought I would have really enjoyed it much better if I could get the meaning of the lyrics, as it sounded really naughty!

There are times when I am watching a movie or having a conversation with someone and there is a person in that room who cannot understand the language and I am trying to translate... sometimes I feel the whole punch line is lost when I translate. There are certain things that sound right only in their original language.

PS: baby is doing fine hulk
    The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, and what you are--when you don't feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Normally, most people hold language as nothing more than just a medium of communication, which is true, only when it comes to the use of a language. But such perception is absolutely false when it comes to grasp the exact developmental and evolutionary course of the language. The notion, that language is nothing more than just a medium of communication, completely falls over when one closely examines the whole evolutionary process involved in the development of a language.

In nutshell, language reflects the world-view of people; and therefore, it necessarily reflects "The way of thinking" and "The way of doing things" of people, which is nothing but culture.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rohit,

Considering culture, evolution and development process of any species,

Nobody who says language is a medium of communication DENIES this fact here.

None of us who says language a medium of communication has LESS love for our language or FEEL LESS AT HOME when orating in our language.

The topic I understood here is, WHEN it comes to LOVE / PASSION vs UTTER DEVOTION to one's language.

Does someone GO a step further to ONLY GLORIFY his or her own language and fail to taste or perceive or understand the beauty of other language?

Does ur emotional LOVE FOR UR LANGUAGE overpowers practical life ahead?

Then ur own language BECOMES a barrier TO UNDERSTAND fellow beings and u STAND SEGREGATED.

Thats what I understand

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You understand wrong.

Lovers of one language do not automatically become enemies of others. We don't want to force our language on you and expect the same courtesy from others too.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast