Post Thanks / Like
    Raagas,
    Superb posts

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    jaiganes,

ARR has already started a school call KM conservatory to have an indian Orchestra so we need not go to budapest

avarala mudinchatha avar panraru. aana evaru?

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jaiganes

You are right...and i agree with IR too(partially) about dependence.But Who will assume the role of judge, in drawing that line between 'use' and 'dependence'. I say that better judges are listeners themselves since the end product will reach them and they are free to take what they like.composers need to become judges for themselves, but not for others.More so, i dont like IR becoming judgemental about other's works, no matter how much right is his opinion.

And to be fair, i think ARR is not all about technology alone.If it was the case,then anyone with money can get an updated technology now and then.it is just that he mixes tech and organic in a certain fashion that it appeals. Thats all. if it is only technology,we might have already had dozens of ARRs.same applies to any composer infact, be it HJ or Yuvan or just anyone.ultimately, it is the tunes and the arrangements, the proportion of organic vs. synth that defines every composer's slot in the eyes and hearts of music lovers.
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

Senior Member Senior Hubber raagas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    suresh

fair enough and i am with IR too when he says that. i appreciate it infact because i too think the same. The only problem i have is - he should not be saying it about others, when he himself is using loops.
    Just 7 notes behold a beauty of life...

Member Junior Hubber entertainment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nanchil_guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    RS, maybe he will talk about how this is an award not just for Rahman but for the TFM maestroes from Ramanathan and Subbaraman to Viswanathan to himself.
    (viz)
    "Vaaliyai paaratturadhu, kannadasanai paarattara maadhiri, pattukottaiyai paarattara maadhiri"
    "Jeyakanthanai paarattaradhu, bharathiyai paarattara maadhiri, Pudhumaipithanai parattara maadhiri"
    Indha template dhaan use pannindirukkar felicitation functions-la - andha logic padi "Rahmanukku kidaicha award viswanathanukku kidiacha award maadhiri, Rasaiahvukku kidaicha award maadhiri" nu...solla mattar illai apdi ellam ?
    Exactly !! If he participates he will echo these words or along the same line.
    Hmm, Let me look at this in a different angle. Have we really praised/felicitated them when they were alive? May be he might have felt that no one recognized those genius well.

Remember in one of his interviews, he was so serious and said that he replied Bharathiyar saying, "Veedhiyil Isaithaalum Veenaikku isaiundu". So he is in a different world altogether. Do not bring him to the level of cat-fight. That way we are not showing our frustration (IR not being awarded World highest awards) instead we are making him cheap. Please dont do that.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJudge
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123
    MrJudge - what are you driving at ?
    Do you think Raaja likes his scores or his way of music making? ithu eppadi irukuunnA ethO oorukkAga seira mAthiri irukku. Why would we expect a classically inclined music composer should come on stage and appreciate Britney spears? I don't understand. intha kooththu ellAm namma nAttula thAn nadakkum. I don't have problems if Yuvan/HJ attends, but Raaja... I will never accept.

Raaja should not have accepted BR's request to have all those MDs for his thiruvAsagam release function also. It should've been released just like any other album, why he approved BR's request and had all those people? I didn't understand and I was mad at that time also.
    MrJudge - I personally dont like many of ARR's styles - though I must admit he does have a penchant for bringing in/working on new sounds - and noone in this whole world can force me to like someone's music if I dont like it! am sure it applies to you - but when you are in the public limelight, there is no way one can avoid such necessities for being politically correct - whichever way you look at it - audiences have changed their tastes, ppl have no time to contemplate deep abt music etc etc, ARR has come a long way since 1992 and am sure IR understands that and hence in public life, IR cannot shut himself off - it might all be a cosmetic exercise, but howsoever, IR might feel, IMO, he shdnt avoid this function to felicitate another contemporary composer
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raagas
    Jaiganes

You are right...and i agree with IR too(partially) about dependence.But Who will assume the role of judge, in drawing that line between 'use' and 'dependence'. I say that better judges are listeners themselves since the end product will reach them and they are free to take what they like.composers need to become judges for themselves, but not for others.More so, i dont like IR becoming judgemental about other's works, no matter how much right is his opinion.

And to be fair, i think ARR is not all about technology alone.If it was the case,then anyone with money can get an updated technology now and then.it is just that he mixes tech and organic in a certain fashion that it appeals. Thats all. if it is only technology,we might have already had dozens of ARRs.same applies to any composer infact, be it HJ or Yuvan or just anyone.ultimately, it is the tunes and the arrangements, the proportion of organic vs. synth that defines every composer's slot in the eyes and hearts of music lovers.
    Please revisit what I have typed. I didnt say that ARR is Technology alone. He knows both the techniques and uses then interchangeably. However his influences have yielded a new group of MDs who are slaves to the computer alone.
    If you go by better judges are the listeners themselves, then thanks for the conversation - when the young Amadeus whose surname is so affectionately attached to ARR wrote a score sheet, the top composers, reviewers and the audience of the time said 'too many notes'. So placing the mass listener as the ultimate judge of quality is a laughable deplorable idea and a best form of insult to talent.

Pure bliss(thanks for bringing that one up) has said he is in the conservatory establishment mode and I hope that his school would churn out more musical minds who wont look at the computer as their teacher and master but as an aide and express themselves musically well. As far as going to budapest is concerned, then the czech orchestra too shall be casualities wont they be bro? Just a pool of artistes alone is not enough to say we wont fly to prague or budapest, the infrastructure to record an ensemble piece also is needed and that quality of sound proofing might have to be built too.
    what is IR doing? is the loaded question that pure_bliss has asked out of blissful ignorance. If you want to know what he has done, you have to revisit the entire thread and the archives. He has done enough to inspire everyone to jump higher and at 65+ he is doing enough to keep alive a distinct style of music composition that has been all but destroyed by computer converts and voice altering software.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

the actual compositional styles/process of IR and ARR ??

can anyone in the industry or at least having knowledge of how the two composers work throw some light on their actual work ethics/style etc ?

I know that IR sits down with the director and once he understands the story, its a tete-a-tete with the director abt the situations n songs and then he goes about composing the same - puts down the music for EVERY piece of instrument on staff notation paper and then simply gets the orchestra to play the music as he has written down and then record the same

How does ARR work ? does he write staff notations with every minutest detail worked out in fine detail ? has he ever done that for an ensemble/orchestra ??

What are the differences ?? maybe that will answer some of the questions raised

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes
    @raagas

use is one thing and dependence is another.
    IR doesn't condemn the 'use' of it. He condemns consistently the 'dependence' on it and the prevalent notion that mastering the science of generating musical choices with the help of technology alone is the be all and end all of music composition.
    This is not with reference to ARR - he knew about music and his handling of technology is on a different plane - that is with understanding of the underlying patterns - but for laymen, it will appear that 'any one can compose' with the help of a computer and win accolades. Repeated interviews from ARR collaborators/ fans on his 'crazy love' for latest computer will only add to the fear inherent.
    Raagas - I find it amusing that 'you too did it argument' against ilaiyaraja. Because he indulged in it as a curiosity only and his main bread and butter was from pure instrumental notes that he composed extempore.
    With everyone jumping on Apple Macbook music composition bandwagon, people who used old world style lost out on quality players who wanted only sleeve note mention and not difficult composition playing sitting whole day in prasad studio. A generation of music players faded out while next generation switched to computers and 'I too will become Rahman' mode and Raaja was left with a reduced orchestra with a big gap to be filled with outdated synth pads - cheaper in price and quality for the budger he is operating with. If I am a composer and given a choice - keep learning latest sound mixing software or keep creating counterpoints for real flutes and violins backed up by bass guitar I would choose option 2 even if the studio is half full with only some synth to fill in the bass guitar shoes. Thats the choice Raaja is making vis-a-vis film music and I am glad he is making that choice still and sticking to the 'organic' style of music composition.
    way to go jaiganes!!

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The only problem i have is - he should not be saying it about others,"
    No, no. I am not in favour of issuing ultimatums to artists - mavane, nee ipdi behave pannalaina, nee dhoosu da apdinu. Rahmanai paarataradhum paarattadhadhum IR's own ishtam. We have to understand this clearly - IR will appreciate ARR if he is really appreciative of his music. Apdi pannalaina, I will take it as his belief in his school of thought - and that is a pure, unadulterated-by-societal-norms mindset that I support whole-heartedly. Poramai, kiramainu solravanga sollittu ponga. CR, of all people, I expect you to understand this(based on the CR, the person whom I have visualised based on your blog, assuming I am right about the blog that I am thinking of as yours). Look, my job requires me to be at my best-PR mode all the time, and I know how much I lie to mediocre people to keep my fireplace burning. Heck, I am mediocre myself, and because precisely of that, I support an artist like IR's mindset when he calls spade a spade, and mediocre, mediocre. Who decides what is mediocre? Well, he does, ofcourse. Pinne, avar enna raagas definition padiya pesa mudiyum. As I said, avar appadi thaan. Lets not try to place our values on him.

If IR doesnt feel that about ARR but just comes and offers "engappanum katcherikku ponaan" platitudes, that means nothing to me. My view is he wont do it.That is my evaluation of IR, the person. In his old age, he has made a few compromises but certainly I dont think he will change his fundamental nature.
    OTOH, if he comes and praises ARR, that will be true from his heart - I will take that as the ultimate enconmium on ARR because that would mean IR appreciates him truly.