Page 21 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: IR News and Other Titbits Ver.2009

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rajasaranam,

What is more interesting is the timing of these awards.

Nan Kadavul is breaking BO records and people who have watched IR's back ground score would have certainly wondered about the oscar give for original score

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajasaranam
    raja_fan,

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies...-coverage.html

Full interview is here!
    ...And also I noticed there is a opinion poll on who is the best composer in tamil. I wanted to see how the trend is and voted for Raaja and saw that Raaja leads by a huge margin Nammalunga ellam oscar'e vaangittu vanthaalum ARR'a vida Raaja thaan best'nnu vote podraanga, ithu pothum thalaivarukku
    In that interview ARR mentioned Rajini, kamal and MR only from Tamilnadu and the reporter raised the next question as ' did IR congratulated u?'. Why should this media persons ask this kinda controversial questions. The reporter could have asked about so many other people from TN, why IR? What i am trying to say here is , either the reporter should have assuemd that IR wouldnt have wished ARR or might have tried to get some controversial answer from ARR, to his credit ARR never did that .

They didnt stop there , the next question was ' what u think on why IR didnt get this award?'. isnt it running after contrversial or what? On the other hand they should have asked about his feeling on getting this award, about the experience working with Hollywood people etc.

Mostly this media is responsible for creating a virtual rivalry between IR and ARR which never exists in real world and most junk of that credit should go to 'kumudam'

Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by irir123
    MrJudge - there is no point, IMHO, on the part of IR fans to remain constantly in a self-denial mode

It doesnt matter how ARR won the award - what matters is he was/is ambitious and works towards his ambition with a single-minded determination - and he is reaping the benefits of those efforts

You and I may not like his style of composing, but ppl like it and today he is popular throughout India and slowly increased his popularity across the world as well

AM not discussing the merits of ARR as a composer - thats beyond the purview here - what matters is even if there was someone a 1000 times as talented as IR, if that person does not make any effort whatsoever, or is not ambitious to get awards, he is not going to get it!

whichever you look at it, thats the way the world is - IR is musically very ambitious, but when it comes to reputationn et al, he is not

We have to live with it - why would this man devote his life-time ambitious project TiS to a non-entity like Fr.Gasper ?? what prevented him from joining hands with someone like Bharat Bala ?? had ARR handled a TiS-like project, he wud have taken it to unimaginable heights - not interms of quality, but in terms of the product reaching the max no of people with fanfare et al -so whose fault is it ?

True, any tom, *ick and harry with any english director, stands a good chance of winning any award in the future ?? whats wrong with it ? thats the way things have always worked

When Randy Newman contested with Vangelis for the Oscars the latter won for CHARIOTS OF FIRE! even today in the US, there are many who are not happy with it - thats the way it is

OTOH, as an IR fan let me ask you, in the last 5 years, how many times have IR fans bought original CDs of IR's releases ? i mean those that were actually available and could have been purchased, and yet, many decided to download the same from dubious sites and there are sites that shamelessly still maintain his tracks/albums!

I understand that one of the main criteria for awards like Oscars, is the record of no of CDs/albums sold! popularity is the key component - how many CDs of IR's have been sold in the last 5-6 years compared to ARR's ? do we have a statistic to prove the actual number ?? even IR does not care about his albums once they are released, at least gives such an impression

IR gave a stunning album filled with Jazz in Mumbai XPress in 2005 - today I cannot get hold of even one COPY of MX online or elsewhere - why ? coz, Kamal and IR badly mismanaged the CD production of MX - whose fault is this ??

Being a prodigiously talented genius is one thing, but being unprofessional, completely oblivious to whats happening to ones own creations is another - cant IR hire a decent professional management team to manage his projects ?? he can but he wont! why ? only his creator knows

Did ARR or his fans or the present Oscar/Grammy committee prevent IR from releasing his much-publicised SYMPHONY of 1993 ?? we dont even know for sure if such a Symphony actually exists or not!! in 1993-1994, IR took all the credit for a work which he didnt not even show to the world - I still remember an interview in 1994, when asked about the symphony, IR said 'it will never come out'! what the heck ??? while at least ARR is getting credit for something that everyone could actually hear!

he wont DO a single thing thats required of present times, but fans like us want him to be awarded bigtime - how is it going to happen ??

so, IMO instead of cribbing about someone else's success (howsoever it might have been achieved), if we ask the above questions, it will dawn on us that if IR did not manage an award of significance, thats his OWN CHOICE! we dont even have the right to find fault in it
    If any tom/dick or harry can get an oscar u can try too!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Full press meet video here.

http://www.nakkheeran.in/users/frmMo...v.aspx?WTV=142

You can see it yourself

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pure bliss
    MrJudge - there is no point, IMHO, on the part of IR fans to remain constantly in a self-denial mode

It doesnt matter how ARR won the award - what matters is he was/is ambitious and works towards his ambition with a single-minded determination - and he is reaping the benefits of those efforts

You and I may not like his style of composing, but ppl like it and today he is popular throughout India and slowly increased his popularity across the world as well

AM not discussing the merits of ARR as a composer - thats beyond the purview here - what matters is even if there was someone a 1000 times as talented as IR, if that person does not make any effort whatsoever, or is not ambitious to get awards, he is not going to get it!

whichever you look at it, thats the way the world is - IR is musically very ambitious, but when it comes to reputationn et al, he is not

We have to live with it - why would this man devote his life-time ambitious project TiS to a non-entity like Fr.Gasper ?? what prevented him from joining hands with someone like Bharat Bala ?? had ARR handled a TiS-like project, he wud have taken it to unimaginable heights - not interms of quality, but in terms of the product reaching the max no of people with fanfare et al -so whose fault is it ?

True, any tom, *ick and harry with any english director, stands a good chance of winning any award in the future ?? whats wrong with it ? thats the way things have always worked

When Randy Newman contested with Vangelis for the Oscars the latter won for CHARIOTS OF FIRE! even today in the US, there are many who are not happy with it - thats the way it is

OTOH, as an IR fan let me ask you, in the last 5 years, how many times have IR fans bought original CDs of IR's releases ? i mean those that were actually available and could have been purchased, and yet, many decided to download the same from dubious sites and there are sites that shamelessly still maintain his tracks/albums!

I understand that one of the main criteria for awards like Oscars, is the record of no of CDs/albums sold! popularity is the key component - how many CDs of IR's have been sold in the last 5-6 years compared to ARR's ? do we have a statistic to prove the actual number ?? even IR does not care about his albums once they are released, at least gives such an impression

IR gave a stunning album filled with Jazz in Mumbai XPress in 2005 - today I cannot get hold of even one COPY of MX online or elsewhere - why ? coz, Kamal and IR badly mismanaged the CD production of MX - whose fault is this ??

Being a prodigiously talented genius is one thing, but being unprofessional, completely oblivious to whats happening to ones own creations is another - cant IR hire a decent professional management team to manage his projects ?? he can but he wont! why ? only his creator knows

Did ARR or his fans or the present Oscar/Grammy committee prevent IR from releasing his much-publicised SYMPHONY of 1993 ?? we dont even know for sure if such a Symphony actually exists or not!! in 1993-1994, IR took all the credit for a work which he didnt not even show to the world - I still remember an interview in 1994, when asked about the symphony, IR said 'it will never come out'! what the heck ??? while at least ARR is getting credit for something that everyone could actually hear!

he wont DO a single thing thats required of present times, but fans like us want him to be awarded bigtime - how is it going to happen ??

so, IMO instead of cribbing about someone else's success (howsoever it might have been achieved), if we ask the above questions, it will dawn on us that if IR did not manage an award of significance, thats his OWN CHOICE! we dont even have the right to find fault in it
    If any tom/dick or harry can get an oscar u can try too!
    Pure bliss - dont know if you understand Tamil or not - there is a saying "mottai mandaikkum muzhangaalukkum mudicchu poduvadhu" meaning "trying to tie a knot between a bald head and an unrelated bald knee" - your retort reminds me exactly of that

I dont want to say anything that might be construed as an insult - I have given all credit to ARR and you are coming back at me with one dumb (IMO) statement quoting my posting!

sigh
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see that you are a *ick. So I would love to see you bring the Oscar's next year.

Sorry for the dig guys

Quote Originally Posted by MrJudge
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle
    If this is the case every tom, dick and harry can easily create hits and win awards including oscar.

Pls do not belittle his achievements.
    If tom, dick and harry works with any english director, they have a chance, I mean it seriously. The future generation will do it with ease is my guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many IR fans recognize rather than deride ARR's achievement. Hats off to them. MrJudge is from an entirely different stock, however
    The vehemence with which he hates the Oscar Award winner is stunning, simply. Hopefully, Yuvan, who is a very good MD, will come up with something great, otherwise MrJudge will be spending sleepless days.

Having said all of this, I must admit that the presence of Danny Boyle did indeed bring home the bacon for ARR. He has produced many memorable songs before this.

From an ARR fan.

Post Thanks / Like

irir123 ,
    I dont quite get what you mean raja's reputation or his attitude towards it.

Second statement is also equally ambiguous.

Yes i have been telling people to buy original CD's rather than downloading it. this is the least we can do for a man who gave so much through his music.

Me too trying to get hold of MX and Heyram albeit with no success. Its really frustrating that his fabulous works are unavilable let me add GURU also in this list. People say lot of things about releasing his BGM score while working with him but forget once the movie is released. If kamal, Bala likes do this to raaja than wat else we can expect?

You are being unneccesarily harsh on Raja for the symphony. John Scot said that he listened to it later defended raja for not relasing it also. he said raja was concerned with the critics reaction to it. Afterall its his work, unlike TIS he is not answerable to anyone.

Its better we concentrate on spreading his music and not thinking in terms of winning awards. He can be a lifetime companion to someone who takes a liking to his music.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    irir123 , I dont quite get what you mean raja's reputation or his attitude towards it.
    as a fan, its my peeve that IR does nothing to do even the most fundamental things that anyone in this field does - by 2005, IR was in the industry/field for more than 30 years!! with such a vast experience, he should not have even allowed the TiS thing become messy - Fr.Gasper gave an interview in Nakkeeran or some magazine, totally insulting IR - not that it matters, but given that the entire TiS was mishandled so shabbily, my question is why does IR get into such predicaments and let someone like Fr.Gasper humiliate him in the press ?? IR seems to be so uncaring about himself - in the perception of todays world, he seems to be a lost cause - albums for unfinished films, albums for duds, and what not

Second statement is also equally ambiguous.
    consistency has never been the hallmark when it comes to Oscar awards anytime - if IR had won an award for one of his 'dandanakka' albums of the past, I personally wudnt have been happy - wud rather if at all he wins, he does so, for the soundtrack of a film like "Hey Ram" - but then, in the end, an award is an award, and there ends the matter

Me too trying to get hold of MX and Heyram albeit with no success. Its really frustrating that his fabulous works are unavilable let me add GURU also in this list. People say lot of things about releasing his BGM score while working with him but forget once the movie is released. If kamal, Bala likes do this to raaja than wat else we can expect?
    Dont know how much of the fault lies with IR - cant he make a precondition that he wont put in effort unless the BGM tracks are released as an album ? whats the purpose of making so much effort for Hey Ram when the soundtrack is not released at all ?
    doesnt he realise his own worth ?

You are being unneccesarily harsh on Raja for the symphony. John Scot said that he listened to it later defended raja for not relasing it also. he said raja was concerned with the critics reaction to it. Afterall its his work, unlike TIS he is not answerable to anyone.
    I dont know if you recall the amount of fanfare that accompanied his symphony announcement in 1993 - it was a musical event, an equivalent of an Indian landing on the moon for the first time! the expectations were skyhigh, ONLY to be squashed by its non-release! 16 years and still IR has not come out with a single statement as to why it has not been released - WHY ? if he was willing to take in all the adulation and pugazhaaram at the time of its recording, he should be equally willing to come forth with a reason(s) as to why he chose not to release it - I think he owes us that

Its better we concentrate on spreading his music and not thinking in terms of winning awards. He can be a lifetime companion to someone who takes a liking to his music.
    its easier said than done
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    To my knowledge IRs first symphony was not released due to fundamental difference in copyright between IR and Sony. Eventually few indian companies also tried to release (Saregama for e.g.), but Sony didnt give up the right.

Its purely upto Sony and not upto IR to release symphony. IR probably can give up his right and that will make Sony happy and Sony can release.

Reg. TIS, yes, IR screwed up completely. He unnecessarily got involved in the transaction. If he had kept aside, it would have been released by Saregama. Saregama definitely would not have taken the music to Grammy or anywhere, but would hvae made it available more easily since they have huge distribution list.
    Musical Tsunami - On Feb 23, 2013 @ Prudential Center, NJ - Maestro Ilayaraja Live - First time in USA.