Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Awakening to Background Score

Hybrid View

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there an end to the bounty that this man proffers on us?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me go the full hog and make this a repository.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plum,

My memories are a bit misted now I thnk there was church scene in which you can see the mist coming in. At that time I had not heard 'Nothing But Wind' but it could be that as well. As you know unlike now there was no 'youtube' for us to go and listen to the BGM regularly. And as you mentioned, the movie was an ordinary one and I didn't feel like watching it more than once.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recently, I heard these BGM pieces from a telugu film 'Aalapana'. The hero works in a railway station and the heroine is a bharanatyam dancer. Raja captures various stages of their thru the same piece. Simply the work of a genius. Pointed to be noted is, I haven't watched the scenes, but these pieces are enough to construct them in my mind! Check out the pieces here. (For the uninitiated, second paragraph after the first train image in that page).[/url]

Post Thanks / Like
    Suresh, there are two scenes with mist as a key player. One is this - the mozart I love you piece from NBW.
    The other is when Nagarjuna leaves Girija in the snow and then comes back searching for her, I couldnt find that in youtube.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first level "realization" was when i watched Kaadhalukku Mariyadhai. The BGM for romantic piece were of superior quality. Of course, the climax BGM is a masterpiece.

My second level "realization" happened very recently, after which i have started to keenly observe BGMs of many old Raja films. Nayagan was on TV and this BGM made me stop shaving and run to the TV hall to see what scene complements this masterpiece!

Post Thanks / Like
    AM, Ah! Nayagan. Oh My God, tonight's going to be a long one - "Ethanai kOdi inbam vaithAi" must really be addressed to this man

I realise we havent even touched the periphery of this man's genius - there's still Johnny, Nenjathai Killadhae, Gunaa, Mahanadhi...
    And then the Malayalam movies...
    And then the Telugu ones...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    AM,

Yup. KM climax BGM is superb and shows how intricately music is mixed with our movies.

Plum,

I will recall the exact scene with help of some friends and tell you.

I have to confess that I am not a card carrying member of the BGM lover's brigade, the leader of which is Rajasaranam. Not that I don't like the BGMs. It is just that I don't watch too many movies and don't go to movies to just hear the BGM. (I said RS was the leader here because he has watched movies like SMS (Malayalam), Dhanam, Valmiki etc just for the BGM!!) Having said that, other than 'Swarnakamalam' there are two movies which I can watch just for the BGM. One is 'Aa Dinagalu' (Kannada). I have written about this BGM more than once in this forum. The other film is 'Nizhalkuthu' (Malayalam). Jai and I had a small discussion about this movie in another thread. Lucky thing is both of these are very good movies as well. (Ofcourse 'Nizhalkuthu' being an Adoor film, you must watch it only if you know about Adoor's style of film making. Else you will try to find out my address and come after me )

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    முதல் மரியாதை:

குறிப்பிட்டு சொல்லவேண்டுமென்றால் அதற்கே பக்கம் போதாது.

இருந்தாலும் என் நினைவலைகளுக்கு எட்டிய வரையில்,

1) செவிலியின் துர்மரணக் காட்சியில் ஒலிக்கப்படும் புல்லாங்குழல்களின் இசை.

2) மலைத்தேவர் இளவட்டக்கல்லை ஒவ்வொரு முறையும் தூக்கப் பார்க்கும் காட்சி. தோல்வியின் போது ஒலிக்கும் சோகம், வெற்றியின் போது ஒலிக்கும் குதூகலம்.

3) குயிலுவிடம் செவிலியின் அப்பா மலைத்தேவரின் கதையை சொல்லும் காட்சியில் வரும் உடுக்கையின் இசை.

4) மலைத்தெவர் குயிலு சமைத்த மீன் சோறு சாப்பிடும் காட்சி.

5) மலைத்தேவர் - குயிலு இருவரும் சந்தித்துக் கொள்ளும் சிறைக்காட்சி, இருவரும் மரணத்தை தழுவும் காட்சியில் வரும் இசை.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess my childhood friends introduced me to "BGM" very early (say 5th / 6th grade period or early 70's) when they narrate stories of movies that they saw recently

Personally, the powerful impact of BGM while seeing a movie was first felt while watching 'dharam-veer'. This was the only movie I saw during my 7th to 12th grade days, thanks to a self-imposed "NO" to movies. This movie happened as an exception when we went on a scout camporee to Madurai and all the mates went to minipriya theater and I had to accompany. I loved the movie those days (recently it took me many sittings to complete this cassette). The "Oh-Oh-Oh" theme music for the horse ride / death of the father character was so much liked by me that it was played in mind whenever I ran around in school afterwards

Slowly, whenever me and my cousin discussed about any movie - BGM was always part of the discussion. So, when I resumed watching movies after going to college, attention to BGM was almost automatic. moondRam piRai was among the initial ones and right from the title, it grabbed my close attention

(Also by this time the love for IR's interludes was so strongly developed and appreciation of BGM was just an extension)!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast