Thread: Transcending instruments

Hybrid View

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another example, which I have discussed a few times earlier, at the cost of tiring those who have read this earlier

Listen to this song from 'Manasinnakare'

In this song you can observe how Raja interchanges between the tabla and the synth drum. The first interlude has tabla as the accompaniment but the way the tabla is played for the first two lines is very similar to how drums would play. He sounds another metallic rhythm instrument along the tabla preparing us for the synth rhythm that would follow the second charanam. In the second charanam, without our knowledge, the tabla has vanished and has been replaced by the drum pad. Even though it has happened, the consistency of the song is no where disturbed and the song preserves its unity in a exemplary fashion. To have used tabla in one charanam and drums in another is not a great innovation but using them in such a way that you can't make out the difference requires a very deep understanding of music.

(BTW, I consider this song as one the very best that Raja gave for Sathyan. There is a tremendous amount of peace that I get when I hear this song. Luckily for us, Sathyan has picturized it well and the greenery of Kerala accentuates the sense of peace.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement