Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 3993

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Hybrid View

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    நீங்க அம்பிகா சேச்சி மேல வச்சிருக்கிற அபிமானமும்
    nAn eppO appidi sonnEn

The only movie I liked that had her was wOh sAt din and that one too was "despite" her

I agree she was "not ugly" but never found a place in my fav books.

Ofcourse, her very talented sis was in

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #189 காந்தி தேசமே, காவல் இல்லையா?
    (நான் சிகப்பு மனிதன், 1985 )

I remember posting about this song in the 'last heard' thread sometime back after watching a Visu program on Jaya TV. In that program, its saraNam got so powerfully used to pizhinjify people's emotions on day-to-day troubles. While that was done to get political mileau (which they did get, going by the huge victory during the subsequent elections) and I personally felt this one worked great as a propaganda song at current conditions, I wasn't impressed at all when it originally arrived. Ofcourse, even now I won't compare this with any of MSV/KVM-MGR numbers that had the majestic voice of TMS. SPB had been and will be a "boy" in my mind forever

Actually, rAsA himself didn't do many majestic propaganda / political numbers anyways (an occasional manithA manithA / gAndhi dEsamE notwithstanding). His era had been mostly soft / romantic / sweet-on-ears / human relationships kinds with relatively less focus on political troubles, vaRumaikkodumai and such stuff. Look at even nizhalkaL, supposedly taken to highlight unemployment, ended up having all romantic / sweet stuff

Those odd successful ones that came during this era, like sattam oru iruttaRai , sivappu malli, thaNNeer^2, VNS - all went to other MDs. That MGR wasn't in the field and IR's not-so-great-working-relationship with TMS didn't help either. The net result is a severe lack of 'adhO andhappaRavai' kinds in his kitty, despite the kitty having a huge overall size.

This movie with the "robinhood" "vigilante" etc genre too got mostly romantic, soft & sweet numbers with just this exception. Even this one was a disappointment to me at the time of arrival. It definitely didn't meet the expectations of one whose childhood included running around in the school campus singing 'nenjam uNdu nErmai uNdu' with extra "horse sound" from the tongue BTW, nenjam uNdu was the first one in my voice ever to get recorded on a media (One day the school HM brought this new wonder to the school , the tape recorder, to the bewilderment of all of us. He demonstrated it to us by recording samples and I was among those to get the chance to sing).

Comparisons apart, this song with its trumpets + shenoy combo mixes excellently the muzhakkam with softer inner emotions. Obviously an IR speciality territory. His talent is unparallelled in making "heart-juice" with instrumental portions, an example of which is in the shenoy portion of interlude. SPB sings with a lot of feel as well which is not unusual. Meets iluppaippoo standards as far as political numbers are concerned

Senior Member Senior Hubber rajeshkrv's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    app,
    you missed out vaali who wrote Gandhi desame .. brilliant lyrics to vent out the anger

Junior Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    It definitely didn't meet the expectations of one whose childhood included running around in the school campus singing 'nenjam uNdu nErmai uNdu' with extra "horse sound" from the tongue
    this is hilarious, app sir

Picturising you as a serious, lost-in-thought kind of person, this side of you is little hard to imagine

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Re: mukkal munagal songs - I think there can be only these reasons 1) IR thinks/wants to assert he can make any sound musical (note donkey braying or goat etc) 2) He wanted to do anything to stay on top commercially. He will justify this very easily. In my books, these are the kind of situations he is just a smart human being other wise he is god

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rajesh,

Gandhi Desame was by Vairamuthu. The lyrics itself as you mentioned would clearly indicate it is Vairamuthu. Actually out of the three SPB songs that App is going to discuss, Pen maane sangeetham paadavaa was by Mu.Mehta and Venmegam mannil vandhu was by Pulami Pithan.

Regards

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    காக்கிச் சட்டை படப் பாடல்களில் "பூபோட்ட தாவணி" .. அப்போதைய காலக் கட்டங்களில் எல்லா ஆர்கெஸ்டிராக்களிலும் பாடப்பட்டு வந்தது. கோரஸ், ஆர்கன், ட்ரம்ஸ், கிடார், பாலு குரலில் ஒரு ஆண் பாடகர் , ஜானகி குரலில் ஒரு பெண் பாடகர் இப்படி குறைந்த பட்ச அம்சங்களை வைத்தே அருமையாக நிகழ்த்திக் காட்டிவிடுவார்கள். குறைந்த வாத்தியக் கருவிகளைக் கொண்டு இப்படி பல அதிசயங்களை உருவாக்கி நூற்றுக்கணக்கான ஆர்கெஸ்டிராக்களை வாழ வைத்தவர் ராஜா. படம் வெளிவந்த இரண்டு மாதத்தில் இப்பாடல் எங்கள் கிராமத்திலும் வாசிக்கப்பட்டது ஒரு ஆர்கெஸ்டிரா மூலம். அடுத்ததாக வரக்கூடிய பாடல் சமீபத்தில் வெளிவந்து வெற்றிகரமாக ஓடிக்கொண்டிருக்கும் காக்கிச்சட்டை படத்திலிருந்து.. என மைக்கில் அறிவிப்பு வர, ஏக்கப்பட்ட கைத்தட்டல் கூடியிருக்கும் கமல் ரசிக கூட்டத்திலிருந்து. ட்ரவுசர் போட்டு திரிந்த அக்காலங்களில் நான் எப்போதும் விந்தையாக பார்ப்பது ட்ரம்ஸ் வாசிக்கப்படும் அழகை. வாயில் கொசு பூந்து வெளியில் வந்தால் கூட தெரியாத அளவிற்கு மெய்மறந்து ரசித்துக்கொண்டிருப்பேன். பூ போட்ட தாவணியும் ட்ரம்ஸ்-க்கு பெயர் போன பாடல். குறிப்பாக இரண்டாவது இடை இசை. கவிதை.

இதுல வருகிற முக்கல் முனகல்களை மேடையில் செய்துகொண்டிருந்த பெண் பாடகியை பார்த்து எங்க ஊர் பெருசு ஒன்னு அடித்த நக்கல் இப்போதும் ஞாபகம் இருக்கு. "போற போக்கப் பார்த்தா இவ நம்ம ஊர்லயே கொழந்தை பெத்துருவா போல!"
    Last edited by venkkiram; 28th October 2011 at 05:41 PM.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    நெஞ்சம் உண்டு நேர்மை உண்டு........is a happy composition invokes the வீரம் and self - confidence . அது அறிவுரை composition from MGR -TMS gang . அது agenda பாடல்
    app _eng ,

காந்தி தேசமே.....is a different kind of a composition .

காந்தி தேசமே ... is all about stating the அவல நிலை.
    There is a sense of disappointment and heartache
    பாலா is doing a good job of invoking the intended mood . chorus humming asserts the longing.

in உன் கண்ணில் நீர் வழிந்தால் by இளையராஜா, there is a மனத்தாங்கல் composition with dripping classism
    என்ன தேசமோ இது என்ன தேசமோ.....யேசுதாஸ்.(na koi umang hai na koi tarang hai meri zindagi hai kya ik kati patang hai.....Lata's dard in R.D.Burman)
    These compositions want you to think about it . They ponder on the pathetic situation while pointing the good and bad . still it is a hopeful composition .
    Last edited by baroque; 29th October 2011 at 12:52 AM.

Senior Member Senior Hubber rajeshkrv's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Murali,
    in an interview of SAC he told about the controversies about Gandhi desame and he said Vaali had to change few lines.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    இதுல வருகிற முக்கல் முனகல்களை மேடையில் செய்துகொண்டிருந்த பெண் பாடகியை பார்த்து எங்க ஊர் பெருசு ஒன்னு அடித்த நக்கல் இப்போதும் ஞாபகம் இருக்கு. "போற போக்கப் பார்த்தா இவ நம்ம ஊர்லயே கொழந்தை பெத்துருவா போல!"
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.