Page 63 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: IlayaRaja's New Albums 2013-15 - Mahendran film/Thaarai thappattai/Mythri

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    My take on Puthiya Theerangal: http://musicmavericks.blogspot.in/20...malayalam.html

A copy-paste from there:

Maaripeelikaatte – Hariharan (another version by Madhu Balakrishnan)
    The song begins on synth wind-instrument sounds and thumbing electronic percussion with a very poignant humming by Ilaiyaraaja himself (I think). A warm melody backed by guitar, this song’s tune bears Ilaiyaraaja’s signature all through. The quietly flowing string sections in the interludes aptly connecting to the charanams evoke a sense of calmness that some of Ilaiyaraaja’s compositions have. After Vilayatta Padagotti from Dhoni, this is perhaps the best soulful composition that Ilaiyaraaja reserved for Hariharan. Though there is another version by Madhu Balakrishnan as well, I liked up Hariharan’s version a lot.

Sindhoora Pottumthottu – Madhu Balakrishnan
    The song begins with guitar strumming that makes us prepared for a country-music kind of song but Ilaiyaraaja quickly moves our attention to the native south-indian rhythms. The percussive elements in this song are a highlight. The melody, set in Mohanam raga, is more folkish in its execution with Madhu Balakrishnan and male chorus delivering it perfectly well. Ilaiyaraaja doesn’t keep it completely acoustic. The synth-elements he uses to fill-up the backgrounds when the pallavi comes to a close are typical Ilaiyaraaja ideas which vie for our attention just as he conjures up a brilliant closure to the taala pattern there. Interludes glide from one instrument to another while guitars and bass-lines stand-out in the charanams. Watch out for the 2nd interlude, which ventures into his recent “Neethane En Ponvasantham” orchestral sound.

Raajagopuram – Vijay Yesudas, Shweta Mohan
    A weird combination of Mridangam and Harmonium set this hummable melody on roll and just as one begins to doubt if this song would ‘sound’ just this bland, Ilaiyaraaja abruptly changes the soundscape with violins, acoustic guitars and a swinging rhythm backed by some staccato effect. While the 1st interlude just warms up to the song, the charanams have impressive synth portions as the melody keeps changing the scale. In this song too, it’s the 2nd interlude that is goose-bumpy with just snapping of fingers as the rhythm while the guitars (and keyboard) play variants. This composition is lilting melody that many would like.

Like some of Ilaiyaraaja’s recent Malayalam films, this one too is very short but has remarkably wonderful music. It is difficult to pick the best one out of the 3 songs, although I personally feel that it’s a tie between Maaripeelikaatte and Raaja Gopuram. After the full-throttled music in Neethane En Ponvasantham, Ilaiyaraaja belts out a short, calmer and sweet album. Looks like he is back to his old ways – of not letting us completely soak in one album.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aakarsh,

That saves me the need to write a review For you have covered the songs very well. (Left a comment in your blog as well.)

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    Aakarsh,

That saves me the need to write a review For you have covered the songs very well. (Left a comment in your blog as well.)
    yeah right, I took it upon me so that you can now re-start the 90s series

Junior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks aakarsh for the nice review. I just listened Raja gopuram on youtube. As you said, delighted to hear the harmonium after a long time. Un paarvayil (Amman kOyil KizhakkalE) immediately came to mind where Raja starts with harmonium (that was an extended delight). Very soulful song as usual spoiled by the picturization. Very artificial acting and dance, did not suit the melody. Will keep this song for later once I come out of NEPV.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (Hindi) trailer. Was the Hindi audio released?

There were some more trailers in the Wellgate's website (I couldn't find it on the net now). Any pointers?

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some songs from TTLS:

Magic Journey -

Manathe Thamara -

Malayalam trailer -

Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    NEPV it seems was like a shot in the arms for Ayya.Puthiya Theerangal takes Sathyan Anthikkad-Ayya combo to the next level.Maarippeelikkatte by MB is my pick for its contemporary yet avant garde feel.Hariharan fails with pronounciation,Kaithapram comes up with uninspiring mundane lyrics..most of the time meaningless.ONV would have done a great job for a song on Ahalyas' redemption(Raajagopuram).The father/mother-child lullaby genre(maaripeelikkatte),a favourite of the composer screams for better lyrics..Rafeeq Ahmed wrote some excellent lines in Amruthamaayi Abhayamaayi.The liveliness and energy of sindhoorapottum thottu has quadrupled my expectations for Gundello Godaari

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    rajaalltheway,

While I don't know much Malayalam, I was expecting some top drawer stuff from Kaithapram. Even someone like me could see that the lyrics are not that great and very mundane. I agree that Rafeeq Ahmed lyrics were quite good in Snehaveedu. I am also very enamored by Sindhoorapottum. What a lively and energetic song!!!

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sindoora Pottum Thottu

Music : Ilayaraja
    Lyrics : Kaithapram
    Singers : Madhu Balakrishnan & Chorus