3. RIGHT SPEECH

Third of the eightfold path talks on "right speech".

When I read thro various websites, what struck me was, this particular advise is something which almost NONE follows. What is right speech? I remember a story, which I had earlier mentioned in amateur spiritual thread. Socrates was approached by a friend, who wanted to share here-say statements regarding one of the students. Socrates had said, before u tell me anything, please ensure it passes the test of three.

Test of three? What is test of three?

First, are u sure what u are gonna say is truth?

Secondly, Is ur statement a good one or would it do good to the object or subject or atleast the one who hears it?

Thirdly, would it be useful to the one who hears?

The man, ashamed, left the place without sharing any news.

Most of us talk things which are futile. We are not sure if the statements are facts. Even if we know its fact, lot of times, it is not a good statement or does not bring goodness to anybody. In tamizh we say 'வியர்த்த பேச்சுக்கள்'. Not just it is of no good, but it is also of no use to the person who hears, or the person who says.

Then why talk at all?

If we use these three filters before we talk, lot of times, most of us wont have anything to talk or share with any other person at all.

Buddha emphasis, 'right speech' as one of the essentials. Words can make or break relationships, happiness, joy, sorrow. After all world is full of words, made of words, die with words. Hence the need to use it carefully becomes more important.

Buddha explains that RIGHT SPEECH should have the following pre-requisites

1. to abstain from false speech, especially not to tell deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully,

2. to abstain from slanderous speech and not to use words maliciously against others,

3. to abstain from harsh words that offend or hurt others, and

4. to abstain from idle chatter that lacks purpose or depth.

Positively phrased, this means to tell the truth, to speak friendly, warm, and gently and to talk only when necessary.

I assume, most our talks can be dispensed off.

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/e...l#Right_Speech

(to quote)