View Poll Results: Your most favourite song in the album is..?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ennodu vA vA endRu solla mAttEn

34 47.22%
  • sAindhu sAindhu nee pArkum pOdhu adadA

30 41.67%
  • kAtRai konjam niRkach chonnEn

34 47.22%
  • vAnam mella keezhiRangi maNNil vandhu aadudhE

33 45.83%
  • muthal muRai pArtha nyAbagam

43 59.72%
  • satRu munbu pArtha mEgam mARi pOga

38 52.78%
  • pudikkala mAmu padikkaRa college

21 29.17%
  • peNgaL endRAl poiyyA poi dhAnA

21 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 38 of 247 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Neethane En Ponvasantham | Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu | Assi Nabbe Poorey Sau

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aakarsh View Post
    My reactions!

But, Forgot to add, Suka has start a new film, this will have Raaja as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Suka being a great writer and all that is kind of unable to translate that on screen. I am just speculating here but I guess thats the reason Arya decided to not spend any more money on the product. The few clippings they showed in the Vijay TV programme were very underwhelming.

I will be glad to be proven wrong. Good luck with the next. And please release the songs of PadiththuRai at least in the Internet.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiganes View Post
    wow - what a correlation genesis!!!
    Two things that worked in favour of Raaja continuing well after the supposed "de throning" that ottu moththa thamizh naattu music lovers did to him after August 16th 1992 was his health+discipline and his dogged and anachronistic attitude of gracefully helping anyone who thought their movie needed his music. MSV OTOH was not having age on his side or health - otherwise he could have well continued making music and reclaiming the throne on which Raaja was unjustifiedly occupying. idhu eppdi irukku?

also your response shows your simple ignorance of the facts that raaja has been doing other language movies all through - not just after unceremonious drubbing in the match up to "throne of thamizh film music king". For your kind info MSV also has done his fair share of telugu and malayalam movies . eyes seem to be stitched tight - surgery dhaan pannanum.
    HCIRF: No, No, MSV can not be compared to IR... that's so wrong. By 1988, MSV was totally out of business. IR is still active.
    Me: So are you saying by MSV was not good by 1988?
    HCIRF: No, No, he is great. Just people do not seem to like his style so he was out.
    Me: He was out because IR dominated the market and there was no room for MSV.
    HCIRF: That's not true, IR did not even do 50% of Tamil movies in those years. There was lot of room for others. SG worked on lot of movies.
    Me: Oh, I understand. IR is not the new MSV, but he is the new SG.
    HCIRF: You are so mean. MSV's health was not good. That's why he was not able to work.
    Me: So, if MSV's health was good and he was active in 1988, there was a possibility for Mani to get MSV for AN. So IR is the new MSV right?
    HCIRF:......
    Last edited by genesis; 21st June 2012 at 09:55 PM.

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, IR can be compared to MSV and KVM positively to compliment him. I think, even IR might feel honored if you do that (he did mention in his book when Sivaji said "nee MSV/KVM levelukku poyitta" for mudhal mariyadhai songs). I think true lovers of music should not put down MSV or KVM anyway. These gentlemen are geniuses/masters and paved the way for IR (IR credits MSV for giving him a format for a film song). That IR did commercially well for a long time and even relevant today is because he is a fighter/fierce competitor. Yes, his health and personal discipline helped him too (God bless him). He is also multi-talented and write lyrics or pull off a project like Thiruvaasagam. Shankar-Ganesh mentioned in one interview if you take out the 'rhythm arrangement' all songs are the same anyways. That is why, Suresh mentions, synths helped IR to stay relevant (and add the dropping/less usage of tabla.) It is quite likely if you ask MSV to tune and some new guy to do the arrangements it will be a hit. Probably, he feels it is no big deal to fight it out and I respect that. After working with great poets and artistes with good music sense (like MGR etc) why bother. I respect his attitude. Let him enjoy his old age happily.It's all people's choices we have to respect that.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    genesis,

That was just to be polite. You thought you were doing comedy and I didn't want to be seen as a guy without any sense of humor. So the above emoticons were to humor you.

Since you seem to be hell bent on ensuing that you frustrate even mild mannered guys like V_S, maybe it is time to get to some objective details rather than just generalization. So here is my question to you:

In 2009, Hariharan-MTV combination approach Raja for music for the BIGGEST budget movie they have done in their respective lives. In 2009, a high profile ad maker,named Balki, calls upon Raja to provide music for a high profile film which stars Amitab Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan and Vidya Balan. In 2011, a successful director called Suseendran calls upon Raja to provide music for his film. Similarly another very successful director called Myskin asks Raja to provide music for his pet project.

I have given you 4 examples of what happened in the past 3 yrs. Now go ahead and give me similar examples of directors of such caliber and production houses which made big budget films which approached MSV in 1986. I don't want any generalization or generic answers. Give me concrete examples. Else, you must shut up. I think that is fair ask isn't it.

Post Thanks / Like
    kiru,

I understand what you say but to be honest, having followed the careers of many music directors across languages I can surely say that many slowly lose their musical prowess. Now this in nothing wrong. Whether it be some of the great Hindi directors or Telugu music directors, either their tune making ability comes down or they are no longer relevant. And that happened to not only MSV and KVM but also to the likes of Rajeshwar Rao and Pendyala in Telugu, to people like O P Nayyar in Hindi. Someone like Kamal Aakarsh will back me up on this as he has also followed the careers of Rajeshwar Rao, Pendyala, O P Nayyar etc. So I don't think we are disrespecting MSV when we say his music making capability and his relevance (musically) went down by mid 80s. We don't assess a music director by his bad period but rather by the good period.

Raja, on the other hand, is still relevant, musically to many and in some places commercially. I am sure Myshkin came to Raja for the music. He knew that Raja's commercial impact would be negligible. Same with Suseendran. For movies like 'SreeRamaRajyam' Bapu would not be able to think of anyone else other than Raja. And Raja survives because even today he makes better music than anyone else. That is the simple fact.

Post Thanks / Like
    great examples Sureshs65 !

amongst these, only PAA stands out, coz the Balki was / is anyways an IR fan !

but

(i) Bapu could have chosen MM Keeravani who could have done justice to SRR ! MMK does have it in him to score for such mythologicals

(ii) Hariharan-MTV could have easily gone to Vidyasagar or anyone else, though I suspect if anyone else could have come up with such an opulent score! given IR's market status as well as the respect he commands in Kerala, I guess he was an obvious choice for PR

(iii) Suseendran could have easily chosen anyone from GV Prakash to Harris Jeyaraj for ASK - that he came to IR is quite surprising

(iv) Mysskin - same story

in all these cases, what is common is that the filmmaker had a script which demanded some serious music, and everyone came to IR !!

that tells us two things - 1. if you have a reasonably good script, IR is the automatic choice, and 2. there are not enough good scripts that need an IR!

which means that we are not capable of coming up with original scripts and we are losing out on quality composers who can do justice to such scores - IR then is truely the last of the classical composers, who can compose for a script!
    Last edited by irir123; 21st June 2012 at 10:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    irir123,

Yes, you are right. Suseendran and Myskin coming to Raja is a surprise and to me it shows how much they value his music. In Bapu's case he probably had a choice but honestly Keeravani provides very cliched music. Can't bear either Annamayya or Ramadasu. One place where I disagree is 'PazhassiRaja'. Vidyasagar is a very nice music director but he is good choice only for small and medium budget movies. No one in the Indian film scene could have done what Raja did for PazhassiRaja.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    genesis,

That was just to be polite. You thought you were doing comedy and I didn't want to be seen as a guy without any sense of humor. So the above emoticons were to humor you.

Since you seem to be hell bent on ensuing that you frustrate even mild mannered guys like V_S, maybe it is time to get to some objective details rather than just generalization. So here is my question to you:

In 2009, Hariharan-MTV combination approach Raja for music for the BIGGEST budget movie they have done in their respective lives. In 2009, a high profile ad maker,named Balki, calls upon Raja to provide music for a high profile film which stars Amitab Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan and Vidya Balan. In 2011, a successful director called Suseendran calls upon Raja to provide music for his film. Similarly another very successful director called Myskin asks Raja to provide music for his pet project.

I have given you 4 examples of what happened in the past 3 yrs. Now go ahead and give me similar examples of directors of such caliber and production houses which made big budget films which approached MSV in 1986. I don't want any generalization or generic answers. Give me concrete examples. Else, you must shut up. I think that is fair ask isn't it.
    Suresh,

Just by laughing at me, you can not make my argument irrelevant. KVM did Sankarabharanam in 1980; I say IR's SRR is something like that. Even today, IR can not be challenged in his fort. He is THE master. He is able to amaze me with some of his tunes to this date, eg: Enge Nee Sendralum from Kannukkulle.

But, you have not answered the basic question: Why not IR be compared to MSV? Why so much opposition from HCIR fans? Give me one good solid answer.
    Last edited by genesis; 21st June 2012 at 11:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    genesis,

Are you seriously reading what people write here. As I said in BR's blog I can only wake up people who are sleeping. I will try one more time with you.

The 'one solid reason' is what I gave. What people here have been saying is that MSV of 1986 (read my lips, MSV of 1986, hope you got it) cannot be compared to Raja of 2012. I think this is fairly simple to understand. I had given 4 examples on why this comparison does not work. So once again so that we all understand: It is not about comparing MSV and Raja generically. It is about comparing MSV of 1986 with Raja of 2012. And you yourself admit that Raja of today is capable of some great music!!!

KVM, by the way did a couple of good movies with Vishwanath till around 1982, after which Vishwanath shifted to Raja. KVM did give a few decent scores but by 1984, he was mostly out of the picture.