View Poll Results: Your most favourite song in the album is..?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ennodu vA vA endRu solla mAttEn

34 47.22%
  • sAindhu sAindhu nee pArkum pOdhu adadA

30 41.67%
  • kAtRai konjam niRkach chonnEn

34 47.22%
  • vAnam mella keezhiRangi maNNil vandhu aadudhE

33 45.83%
  • muthal muRai pArtha nyAbagam

43 59.72%
  • satRu munbu pArtha mEgam mARi pOga

38 52.78%
  • pudikkala mAmu padikkaRa college

21 29.17%
  • peNgaL endRAl poiyyA poi dhAnA

21 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 46 of 247 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Neethane En Ponvasantham | Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu | Assi Nabbe Poorey Sau

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Senthil,

Thanks for the links. I have heard some of these and I will listen to the others soon. I don't know much about the Malayalam films though.

As a person who had closely followed MSV during that time, because I was defending him AGAINST Raja, I know how the scenario was then. How the one hour 4 to 5pm Sunday program on Madras A, which I followed religiously in the late 70s and early 80s, saw a program which was initially full of MSV melodies slowly getting replaced by Raja melodies. And this program was based on letters which came to the station and not the station selection. ("madhuraiyilirundu Kanaka, mayiladudhariayilirundhu Mahesh, Nagerkoililirundhu Nagesh etc.) Added to it was my own assessment of his songs during that period. Today if I were to fill my mp3 player with MSV's songs, the nof songs from 80s will be less. I don't want to go movie by movie on your list but none of the Tamil movies that you mentioned will go into his canon, which is very large by the way. You may consider it my 'opinion' and that is fine by me but I do still hold, having heard the music of those times, that MSV's music did decline in quality during those time. So we will leave it at it as my opinion and not as a fact.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sureshji,

I've read pulambals from MSV camp (in some threads here) that one-by-one the top assistants / instrumentalists etc were leaving MSV during the 80's.

Kind of makes sense, if one puts together the situation under which AVM/BR/IR wanted to bail him out with MTK where he needed IR to do the orch. All TFM lovers know what an awesome 1986 album that proved to be.

And later too, people tried some gimmicks like "bringing back TKR to work with him" etc. So, the idea of "MSV retired graciously" is far-fetched as the fact is he lost to have winner assistants anymore and couldn't deliver products acceptable to any market.

Now, all the samples that senthilv has laboriously brought here together to showcase those "MSV-sparkles" during mid-late 80's are not that big in TN (or Kerala) in my observation and only serves to defeat that purpose

These were nothing compared to even what he did when really in competition with IR during late-70's & early-80's (let alone those wonders for MGR-Sivaji movies earlier).

These are samples similar to what BRangan talked about in his comments in the blog ('maragathavallikku maNakkOlam' kind of "radio-only" songs that could be called "hits" by HCFs while in reality TN was reverberating with IR songs everywhere in teakkadai / buses etc - why, even TR songs had a much bigger reach than any of MSV's in mid-late 80's).
    Last edited by app_engine; 22nd June 2012 at 08:00 PM.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    Sureshji,

I've read pulambals from MSV camp (in some threads here) that one-by-one the top assistants / instrumentalists etc were leaving MSV during the 80's.

Kind of makes sense, if one puts together the situation under which AVM/BR/IR wanted to bail him out with MTK where he needed IR to do the orch. All TFM lovers know what an awesome 1986 album that proved to be.

And later too, people tried some gimmicks like "bringing back TKR to work with him" etc. So, the idea of "MSV retired graciously" is far-fetched as the fact is he lost to have winner assistants anymore and couldn't deliver products acceptable to any market.

Now, all the samples that senthilv has laboriously brought here together to showcase those "MSV-sparkles" during mid-late 80's are not that big in TN (or Kerala) in my observation and only serves to defeat that purpose

These were nothing compared to even what he did when really in competition with IR during late-70's & early-80's (let alone those wonders for MGR-Sivaji movies earlier).

These are samples similar to what BRangan talked about in his comments in the blog ('maragathavallikku maNakkOlam' kind of "radio-only" songs that could be called "hits" by HCFs while in reality TN was reverberating with IR songs everywhere in teakkadai / buses etc - why, even TR songs had a much bigger reach than any of MSV's in mid-late 80's).
    I must say that when MSV composed in the 90s for "Engirundho Vandhaan" Satyaraj starrer - music was truly awesome. Ellaathukkume neram, kaalam, koottaaLi ellaam sariya amayanum. this is what raaja cals praaptham and sankalpam.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    Possibly posted earlier but got lost in the amaLi related to BRangan's blog post :

Quote Originally Posted by The Hindu
    Neethane En Ponvasantham in September?
    It looks like fans of Gautam Vasudev Menon might have to wait a bit longer for his next film Neethane En Ponvasantham to hit the screens.
    That's because the ace director plans to release the film, featuring Jiiva and Samantha in the lead, late August or September. However, they can take heart that the music of the film is to release in the first week of July.

Says Gautam: “The film is almost ready, but I don't want it to be obscured by the biggie Maatran. So, I will wait for Maatran's release.”
    If one is to go by the earlier announcement by the producers of Maatran who had stated they were planning an Independence Day (August 15) release, then, it is obvious NEP will hit the screens only by the fag end of August or early September.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber genesis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65 View Post
    Senthil,

Thanks for the links. I have heard some of these and I will listen to the others soon. I don't know much about the Malayalam films though.

As a person who had closely followed MSV during that time, because I was defending him AGAINST Raja, I know how the scenario was then. How the one hour 4 to 5pm Sunday program on Madras A, which I followed religiously in the late 70s and early 80s, saw a program which was initially full of MSV melodies slowly getting replaced by Raja melodies. And this program was based on letters which came to the station and not the station selection. ("madhuraiyilirundu Kanaka, mayiladudhariayilirundhu Mahesh, Nagerkoililirundhu Nagesh etc.) Added to it was my own assessment of his songs during that period. Today if I were to fill my mp3 player with MSV's songs, the nof songs from 80s will be less. I don't want to go movie by movie on your list but none of the Tamil movies that you mentioned will go into his canon, which is very large by the way. You may consider it my 'opinion' and that is fine by me but I do still hold, having heard the music of those times, that MSV's music did decline in quality during those time. So we will leave it at it as my opinion and not as a fact.
    Suresh - First of all please start treating others on par with you!! (I hope you understand what I mean)
    Last edited by genesis; 22nd June 2012 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    genesis,

An unfortunate comment from you. If I was not treating someone on par with me, including you, I wouldn't be responding and engaging in a debate. Hope you understand And would be great if you stop giving gratuitous advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    app,

I didn't want to do an extensive analysis of the songs and prolong the debate. I fully agree with you and as I said, these will not be a part of the canon of MSV. He was far far greater music director than these songs indicate.

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, listened to those 3 Shreya G sweeties from cheeni kum during the drive to work!

If NEPV has orchestration / arrangment / sounds / recording standards that at least meet these (I hope it will exceed considering the resources given to IR), we have a definite treat there!

Post Thanks / Like
    app,

I am more than sure that this will be on par with the sounds of Cheeni Kum, if not better. You can also check the jazz part which comes in 'Azhagarsamiyin Kudhirai'. Outstanding work there.

Honestly, I treat this on par with any Raja album and for me, Raja has not disappointed me in all these years

Post Thanks / Like
    Sureshji,
    You know I'm not totally with you there (on giving rAjApArvai to all rAjA albums, nAn innum avvaLavu pakkuvappadalai)

Yuvan pErellAm singers-list'la kEkkumbOthu konjam bageer dhAn

Still, cheeni / PR / pA are three biggies impressive to me in recent years and are closely related to NEPV in the 'what is at stake' question.

That way, I'm sure this album will live up to the hype!