Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: IR concerts, TV shows and Interviews ...

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very Good Morning to everyone & hope you have a cool week ahead!

I hate myself to have missed most of the "Part II" of Maestro Dr.IR's concert on Jaya TV yesterday. I had to attend to something else very important. I was just able to catch 2-3 songs at the end of the program. Thoughts about the same:

1) "Oliyile Therivadhu" was sung pretty well by Karthik. Really appreciate his talent & ability to reproduce it pretty neatly on stage aswell. I am sorry I cant spare any appreciation for Bhavadharini. She needs to carry out her stage performances well, else she has to stop performing on stage atleast! Interludes were reproduced almost as it is and that was a very good point.

2) "Paadariyen Padippariyen" was done well by Chitra. The only thing that bothered me was that the pace of the song was a bit slow (also not much of vigour) compared to the original. I found the sudden increase of pace in the end (to accomodate the fast sangadhis) a bit unnatural. Also the violin guy deviated a bit. When audience thought the song was over, Chitra continued singing some portion of "Marimari ninne" originally sung by Jesudas.

3) Swarnalatha tried her best to induce lot of energy into the song "Aattama" and the output was ok I would say, but not the best. The main part I was looking for was the interludes and it was done to a decent extent. The best part was the flute portion which was reproduced ditto like the original.

AVM Saravanan said "IR is a role model for the youngsters". I completely agree with him.

Can anyone say about the songs that I missed?

Also, I totally forgot about the music that comes when the end credits rolls (it came in first part too). That music is really good. I have not heard it before and its fresh. It certainly has IR touch and it has some birds chirping/nature sounds aswell. Anyone has any ideas? Is it part of Wings CD? Is mp3's available of that CD anywhere?

The next part (Part-III) is coming Sunday. I dont know the timings.

thanks,

Krishnan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The intro by IR to second part of the show on Jaya TV had , guess what, background score from the movie GURU(Malayalam)!!
    This intro must have been recorded after diwali because Raja spoke about response to the part 1 telecast.

GURU, circa 1998, was a popular discussion theme in this forum and it had mind-blowing BGM. Wonder if it is available under some other cover as an album? or, someone from the Jaya TV production team is as ardent(perhaps more) a fan or IR as many here . Either way, I would like to lay my hands upon whatever CD, album that beholds BGM of GURU...

Senior Member Senior Hubber karthik_sa2's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This must come as good news to you and all the IR fans!

Jaya TV has accepted our request for supply of DVDs on the IR programme telecast in its channel.

This is expected to be announced tomorrow, Nov 5, 2005.

Regarding the modalities of how we can collect copies, make payments etc., I'll give you details sometime tomorr! ow, but the main thing is our request has been granted. Thanks to all of you for your perseverance and your patience.

You can make the announcement to our members, with the news that details will follow.

Thanks and regards

karthik

'Maestro Ilaiyaraaja' - May All The Elements Say His Name

Post Thanks / Like

AVM Saravanan said "IR is a role model for the youngste

that is not AVM Saravanam He is Director SP Muthuraman

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Karthik must have thoroughly enjoyed singing "oLiyile". His body language showed that. My special appreciation to Arunmozhi or Napolean for playing the challenging flute bits to perfection.[It is a very a tough job to do on stage as I have noticed many light music flutists floundering on the stage]. Tippu's "unnai vida" cold blooded murder made me yearn for Kamal's karunai kolai.
    Agreeing with Krish's comment on Chira's needless dragging of "paadariyen". I would have done a better justice to my most favourite "sendhurapoove" than IR's erumai magaL [Sorry Bhava fans ( ]

Senior Member Senior Hubber karthik_sa2's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreeing with Krish's comment on Chira's needless dragging of "paadariyen".
    krish and thumburu
    "mari mari ninaen" is a keertanai that follows that song.and keertanai ahs to be sung fully and shd not be stopped in the middle.

Post Thanks / Like
    karthik, my grouse is not on the length of the song, but on the tempo of the song[thaaLathai romba medhuva poda vendi irukkum and might not sustain the sudience's interest]

Post Thanks / Like
    The audience lapped up the "Padariyen-Mari mari" offering, as would have been evident in the TV programme. Any doubts/fears about the audience not liking it is FUD.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    My cable operator played truant from 5.20 to 6.10 which meant I was not able to watch the prog from the moment Sreya began to sing 'Unnai Vida' till Chitra started 'padariyen'.Can anyone tell me what all I missed out on?

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

As much as I was excited to watch the programme, I was also equally curious to know the hubbers reactions to the programme and its nice to know that all have had only positive comments (I mean hardly any blind criticism or favouritism).

What I liked?
    . IR's sense of humour. Have known about it and read/seen in bits and pieces but saw it in full swing during the programme.

. Orchestration was so perfect that it seemed so close to the original score. Again, special kudos to ArunMozhi (a.k.a Napolean) for the flute bit. Read in an interview that IR is such a fan of flutes that he makes sure to get one during his abroad visits and one such flute costed about 1.5 Lakh rupees and Arunmozhi was the only one apart from IR to have had the chance to play it (I think it figured in this concert as well, the U-shaped one). The violin troupe, bongos, tablas were all too good.

. SPB's voice seems to be getting better and better with time. Also his appreciations, comments seemed very genuine and authentic.

. I am die hard fan of Chithra and it was nice to see her perform. But during some songs (pothi vecha and Sundari), her voice seemed very low. Liked the Pandariyen swaram bit - sounded just like the original.

. Uma Ramanan's voice - crystal clear and how it flows with ease even in the high octaves. Sad that her voice was not fully utilised (other than IR to some extent).

. Shreya Ghoshal, Sadhana Sargam, Mano, Karthik, Hariharan were all good.

What I did not find that good :

. Sound recording or acoustics were not that good. As somebody said, maybe an indoor stadium is not suited for a musical concert.

. Bhavatharini disappointed terribly. Her voice was literally shaking.

. Hariharan/SPB could have avoided the so called improvisations. But SPB stuck to the original tunes most of the time.

. Would have loved to see more chances given to the good singers - Karthik, Mano, Madhu Balakrishnan, Uma Ramanan. Don't know if Part-3 would hold more of their participation.

Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast