newtfmpage.com
Home   Forum   Wiki   Notes   Register   FAQ   Sitemap   About Us   Contact Us  

New Albums Review

Reviews of New TFM Albums
Submitted by DFers.

All times in EDT/EST +9:30/10:30 for IST.
Discussion Thread on new TFM albums

Old Reviews

RESONANCE
V. S. Narasimhan

Reviewed by Neels (@ 203.197.9.189) on: Fri Aug 4 06:06:17 EDT 2000

Here's my review of RESONANCE:
Disclaimer: I am not a critique of carnatic music. I am just expressing my view on the album. Experts pardon me!

1. Nava Raga Malika Varnam
This, as most Carnatic music enthusiasts know is a famous composition by Patnam Subramaniam Iyer (1845-1902). Almost all learners would have been taught this number. It is set to 9 different Ragas: Kedaram, Shankarabharanam, Kalyani, Begada, Yadukula Kambodi, Kambodi, Mohanam, Bilahari and Sri.
It is a plain rendition, without any improvisations and it kind of sets the mood for the album.

2. Palukavademira
Raga: Devamanohari
Tala: Aadi
Mysore Vasudevachar (1865-1961)
The Quartet starts this short composition right away, without any Alaapana. While the lead violin continues with the composition, the Cello, Viola and the other Violin provide the rhythm and harmony. A nice piece.

3. Easane
Raga: Chakravagam
Tala: Rupakam
Papanasam Sivan (1890-1973)
This is one of the best numbers (I have uploaded this). There’s a brief outlining of the raga before the composition begins. The rhythmic backing is excellent. Before they venture into the Anupallavi and later the Charanam, there’s a whole lot of improvisation by the Quartet and I enjoyed these bits the most. They weave a multitude of layers and complex patterns.

4. Raghu Vamsa Sudha
Raga: Kathana Kutoohalam
Patnam Subramaniam Iyer
This popular Kathanakuthookalam number gets a fresh treatment in this album. The raga being closest in resembling Western Classical Music, they make the most of it. There is a prelude to the main composition that sounds great. The Chittaswaram (swara pattern written by the composer himself) have been treated well.

5. Amba Kamakshi
Raga: Bhairavi
Tala: Misra Chapu
Syama Shastri (1772-1827)
A simple, ‘azhuthamana’ rendition without any frills. You can almost feel the lyrics. Soothing.

6. Mokshamu Galadha
Raga: Saramathi
Thyagaraja
Again, a simple, soulful rendition.

7. Sara Sara Samaray
Raga: Kuntalavarali
Tala: Adi
Thyagaraja
A peppy number (one of the few faster tracks), given a very Western treatment. Amazing!

8. Mohana Lahari
Raga: Bilahari
V. S. Narasimhan
VSN’s own composition and one of my favorites in the album. It starts off with a brief Alapana of the ragam, which reaches a crescendo, from where an interesting melody (Taanam?) takes over. I couldn’t help but recollect the Koondalile Megham Vandu number by IR in Balanagamma, which incidentally has an interesting violin interlude (probably performed by VSN himself)
The main melody is kept simple, but the improvisations are mind-blowing and the Quartet doesn’t fail to surprise you with little twists and turns every now and then. Noteworthy is the excellent Cello played by V. R. Sekar.
(Sekar is the son of Kunnakkudi Vaidyanathan)

9. Krishna Nee Begane
Raga: Misra Yaman (Same as Carnatic’s Yaman Kalyani?)
Tala: Misra Chapu
Kanaka Dasa (1508-1606)
This extremely popular song gets a new look here. The instrumentalists retain its original flavor, bring out its Hindustani shade well and present the song in a new light.
The introduction to the pallavi is very good and it evokes a myriad of emotions, a heady mix of happiness and pathos.

To summarize, I can’t pick one track as the best, as the overall collection is excellent. And I wasn’t disappointed by the absence of any ‘fast numbers’. Here’s awaiting their next album, with some more old krithis and original compositions. If a quartet can do such wonders, I can’t imagine how a full western orchestra will sound! Perhaps the experience will be entirely different. The success of this album hopefully prompts them to scale new heights.

Neels

You can listen to this album here.

Dum DUm DUm
Karthik Raaja

Reviewed by UV (@ 134.113.201.48) on: Tue Mar 13 12:41:04 EST 2001

Guys,
Karthik Raja seems to have found his groove after his DummDumm(pun intended!!)
I guess!!
Its very good album after disastrous Vanchinathan and Average Ullama Kollai Pokuthe. It also goes to show how important role a Movie Director also plays in inspiring and get tunes out of MD.
Thats what Maniratnam or the film director has done.

If Mr. Karthik Raja can give a very good songs like this I am just wondering
what happened to Vanchinathan and others anyway

I tried to review this album with a open mind and here goes...

First is the recording Quality is clear and nice so it scores 8/10

1)Sutroom Bhoomi--
A Rockish kind of folk ballad
Guitar Distortion handled well and neat lead(rare in tamil songs!!)
Harini-sometimes hitting flat note..
Overall a good catchy song
second best in my opinon
overal-- 8/10

2)Krishna -- reminds of 80s Disco
KR seems to like Disco beat
A Average song could have done much better. Reminds of the Hariom song in Grahan
--5/10

3)Ragasiyame
Song is nice,melodius
based on malayamarutham/valachi I guess.
A nice violin lead its been while we had such kind of song.
Only irritating part is Hariharan singing in false voice
esp when he hits high notes!!.
And instead of using a guitar note with humming he could have used flute/violin
would have been nice.
And as for as male voice goes I personally would have preferred Madhu Balakrishnan sung it
--7/10

4)Un Perai Sonnale
Starts with a good infectious loop that soon catches you!!
KR had made good use of fretless base
Sensual song.
And beautifully by sung Unni and special mention to Sadhana Sargam.
Her voice sound very sensual and romantic

Overall 7/10

5)Athan Varuvaga -- Wonderful peice I liked it at the first listening
Malgudi Subha brings out the color and lovely expression of the song
My pick of the album--9/10

6)Desingu Raja - Starts out nice
and in between seems to be lost and comes back again strong in the end
I found it little bit lengthy
Harish Raghavendar display his mulitalented voice again
--7/10

Overall Its a very wonderful album both melodious and groovy.

Final Note:
Hopes this gives the much deserved expected Break for Mr. Karthik Raja
And Hope he continues the same way for his future projects.

You can buy it. Its defintely not a money loser!!

Dumm Dumm Dumm
Karthik Raaja

Reviewed by Rajan (@ 63.76.3.20) on: Tue Mar 13 13:41:18 EST 2001

Here is a detailed review of DUM DUM DUM:

The first song is "Sutrum boomi" sung by Harini & chorus. This song starts with a slight folky style and in saranam it slowly transforms to a new color. Good work.

The Second song is "Desingu Raja" by Harish Ragavendar & Sujatha. This number i can say one of best number well backed by some wonderful violin pieces throughout the song.

The third one is "Un Perai Sonnale" by Unnikrishnan & Sadhana Sargam. The best song of the album.

The fourth one is "Athan". A typical folk song or can say a bit slangy. May be very catchy one for folk lovers.

The fifth one is "Rahasiamai" by Hariharan, Sadhana Sargam & Ramanathan. This somg sounds more like a seductive number. The orchestartion arrangement is perfect and may hit the top of the rating charts.

The sixth one is a pretty usual one. Nothing much to write abt it.

Overall the album is sure stands with a different color from the usual groovy numbers we very much used to these days.

My opinion above is after i listened the album for abt four times.

Dumm Dumm Dumm
Karthik Raaja

Reviewed by Amplitude (@ 63.76.3.20) on: Tue Mar 13 13:42:38 EST 2001

After about 5 listenings here is view on DDD
Definitely this is not a mediocre album by any standard.
Songs are very refreshing.
There are 6 songs.
"Sutrum boomi" - Harini/Good song
This songs is a fusion of folk and rock.
1st bgm is very impressive. . 8/10

"Desingu Raja" - Harish Ragavendar & Sujatha/Impressive orchestrization(WC)
The charanam is very catchy. 8/10

Un Perai Sonnale-Unni Krishnan/Sadana Sargam
Beautiful song.
I love this song. Very melodies. 9/10

Athan-Subha-Chitra/sivaraman/Harini
The situation is something similar to rukkumani song from roja. KR has mixed folk with classical and has done a very neat job. 9/10.

Rahasiamai - Hariharan/Sadhana sargam
To me this is the best song of the album.
Simply amazing. The situation of the song very similar to Hai rama from Rangeela.
Should be on top of the charts very soon. 10/10

Krishna
Nothing much to say abt this song 6/10.

Overall I am very impressed.

Thulluvadho Elamai
Yuvan Shankar Raja

Reviewed by UV (@ 134.113.203.137) on: Tue Mar 20 14:02:57 EST 2001

Some words before going to the review...
Yuvan Shankar Raja who is just 21 ?
has always been admired by people in the music circle for his talent.
I thought this guy was a hyped one but he has silenced many of his critics
And has come as Super Winer in this album.
People who haven't listened to any of his albums dont miss this one.
IF you dare to go beyond just cinematic formula tunes and have a good Director
with little music sense,then you sure to have a wonderful album.
Credit must also given the Director Kasturi Rajas son who is also ony 21.
Thats what Thulluvadho Elamai is all about.

YSR has dared to use everything and broken lot of taboos in this album
Have you ever heard of any tamil/indian song in R&B style ? Well this album does that,YSR has attempted lot of things R&B grooves,New age,Classical fusion and does it very successfully in this album.

Now to the review of ThulluVadho Elamai

1) Idhu Kadhala - Sung by YSR
What Beautiful song opening with wonderful usage of strings,Piano and
european chords and slowly moves into fast cresendo of techno pace.
YSR has made an attempt to sing not bad job.
This going to find a place in those dance clubs thats for sure.

-8/10

2) Kanmunney - YSR & Timmy
Another beautiful song opening with Piano and Guitar strumming its way into you heart. This songs once again go through interesting cycle of styles R&B and POP,Indian Folk.

-8/10

3) Kattrukku - Harish,Harini,Febi&Sunder
Imagine fusion of ,Bhangra,Rajasthani folk & Dabbanguthu thats what this song does it comes out with flying colors
I think this is the first song of its kind though well done.

-8/10

4) Neruppu Koothadikkudu - Venkat Prabhu & Chitra Sivaraman
Starts with Newage type of music and slowly turns into a rusty folky number cool transformation. Certainly a winner for a front runners.

-7/10.

5) Theenda Theenda - Unni & Jayashree - Beautiful melody duet set to classical raga. Its difficult to pinpoint to a raga as it resembles both SriRanjani and Abogi.
The song is both melodious and have a nice beat with gentle lullaby like Veena.

My pick of the album No.1 Spot
The same song also feature a solo version by Jayasree

-9/10 - (I would have given 10/10 but to avoid being partial)

6) Vayadhu Vaa Vaa - Srinivas & Harini -Romantic sensual melody based classical raga Hamsanadham and also sometimes resembles Saranga(I may be corrected on this)
Violins,Piano are used very nicely in this one.
Another Chart buster
Second best in the album

-9/10.

All most every song is a contender for the top 10.
Judging by this Album YSR is sure contender for the top spot.

I am sure after this album YSR the Whiz Kid will get noticed.

Final Note:A Must Buy Album another Kadal Desam in making as far songs are concerned.

Thulluvado Ilamai
YSR

Reviewed by Angeli(ISAI RASIGAI) (@ 213.11.117.254) on: Wed Mar 21 12:12:14 EST 2001

UV

For your comment:

"Have you ever heard of any tamil/indian song in R&B style ? Well this album does that,YSR has attempted lot of things R&B grooves"

- Have you heard 'Kaatre Un Vaasal Vandhu from Rhythm? That follows R N B style..... ARR was inspired by a Destinys Child video on MTV (Say my Name) in London when mixing Rhythm. Thaniye also follows an RnBish style.

But otherwise, agreed about the RnB grooves.....YSR has been listening to a lot of UK Garage, e.g. Craig David, Artful Dodger. YSR is just not concentrating on the r 'n' b melody, but using the grooves instead.....

The Bombay Jayashree song is mainly in Sri Ranjani/Bhagayashree, but has some Reethigowla parts in the interludes.

The Harini/Srinivas song is mainly in Hamsanasdham, with some 'accidentals' of Kalyani occurring - the start is almost an absolute copy of ARR's BGM in ANDHIMANDHARAI, where there is a Piano interlude before Unni Krishnan does the Pallavi/Anu Pallavi and Chitta Swarams of the popular Varnam VANAJAKSHI.

Overall, I agree, it is a very good effort by the young, talented YSR. He is definitely better than KR, especially after listening to Dum Dum Dum.

YSR needs to learn more about voices and pitch - Bombay Jayashree's voice sounds distorted, especially because she has to sing at such high pitch. This song would have been better sung by Sujatha, Chithra or Sadhana, who have smooth voices in high pitch.

Venkat Prabhu(the elder son of GANGAI AMARAN) again is quite awful - he cannot keep pitch too well and I have had him sing at my house, he's not very good, nice guy though. His song was too much like Thirupaachi Aruval from Taj Mahal.

Yuvan is not a great singer himself - this self promotion should be well avoided.

Overall though, this will cause quite a stir, as it's of high standard, rich music and enjoyable listening.

Thulluvadho Ilamai
YSR

Reviewed by Angeli(ISAI RASIGAI) (@ 213.11.117.254) on: Wed Mar 21 12:23:25 EST 2001

UV

I forgot to say that the Theenda Theenda song - Jayashree/Unni reminds me a lot of IR's 'PONNIL VAANAM POOTHADHU' which also has a similar Raga combination.....I forgot what the Raga is called, but it sounds a lot like Sri Ranjani.

The instrumentation and purcussion combination on this song and also most of this album is also really thrilling, especially the use of basslines......Through a SUB WOOFER, with well equalised treble, the effect is quite stunning - a good piece of sound engineering.

Thulluvathi Ilamai
Yuvanshankar Raja

Reviewed by Madhav (@ 62.7.46.19) on: Sat Mar 24 17:18:04 EST 2001

I heard the album Thulluvatho Ilamai by Yuvanshankar Raja and it is the first album that I have been compelled to review. This album contains a wide range of variety and also different music styles.I feel that Yuvan has made great strides in his albums and every consecutive album is significantly better than its predecessor. Yuvan has a distinct style which is emanated in every album without sounding repetitive. You cannot claim that any of his tracks on an album are similiar to any other of his tracks on prior albums.

1.Ithu Kathala : Yuvanshankar Raja
This song was sung by Yuvan and it is the first indian track that I have heard that incorporates the garage sound. The intro to the song is melodious and calm which then fuses introduces a garage beat which I believe makes the sond more youthful and trendy. Yuvan has sung this song well and he must be given credit for his efforts.

9/10 : I believe this song will be better appreciated by Yuvan's foreign fans such as UK or USA residents although it will be a hit overall.

Theenda Theenda : Bombay Jayshree & Unnikrishnan.

This song has been Yuvan's first attempt at a classical piece. I applaud him for his technicality in this song.From hearing this track, you would believe that you were listening to the work of a classically trained MD. Bombay Jayshree maybe wasn't suited to this song well, as mentioned in other reviews. The song is composed well and has no faults technically, but maybe just the choice of singer tarnished it's achievment.

8/10 : A good classical attempt by Yuvan.

Kanmunne : Yuvanshankar Raja & Timmy
This was genuinely my pick of the album. It has it all. The lyrics, the musical composition, the singing, the life. I feel this song really has a lot of life and soul in it.It has a very strong R&B sound and we can see Yuvan introducing a lot of Western music styles into TFM. The lyrics are very high impact and Yuvan and Timmy sound very good together here. This song is trendy and has you singing along with it after just one hearing.A great song.

10/10 : My pick of the album.

Vayathu Vaa Vaa :Harini & Srinivas

This song is very sweet and slow and soft. Harini's voice is just not impressing me like it did. I feel she is singing too softly, but Srinivas sounds wonderful as always. A very soft Piano interlude at the start of the song leading to a slow and sentimental song.

9/10 : A good song to chill out to.

Nerrupu Koothadikkuthu :Venkat & Chitra Sivaraman.

This is your usual folk/dappanguthu song. Venkat sound terrible on the track, but Chitra Sivaraman sounds great on it. I believe she has made up for both of them on this track. The first string interlude is magical and the orchestration of this song is wonderful. It will surely stay in our hearts.

8/10 : Definately a hit with the youngsters.

Kaatrukku : Harish, Harini,Febi % sunder
A sort of fusion of Bhangra and north Indian music. It has been done well and Harish has come out with flying colours.

8/10 : An average song, sung well by Harish

This album overall gets 10/10 as it contains it all. Through this album, we can see Yuvans maturity as an MD and we can also note that there is ggd reason that people are comparing him to ARR and saying that he could be the one to replace him. Yuvan is doing very well at the moment and I look forward to hearing Nandhaa to see what new flavours he will be adding for us to taste.
People have to stand up and take notice of this Young Raja, true to his name.
Awaiting the release of his next album. and hoping for many more releases by this young Genius.

CHITHIRAM
rp

Reviewed by shivakumar (@ 203.199.232.158) on: Thu Jun 14 12:19:36 EDT 2001

The best thing about the album is that it has six new singers, and I heard that all of them are youngsters in the age group of 17 to 23. what a releif from the usual stale voices! nothing great about the music. But the 'mamoy' song is a new try. welcome effort.

Majnu
Harris Jeyaraj

Reviewed by Bharath (@ oneway.convex.com) on: Wed Jul 11 11:45:24 EDT 2001

Harris Jeyaraj's second album. As they say in cricket, its the second season thats always tougher, its the second album that is always judged with more scrutiny. AR Rehmans "Puthiya Mugam" was dismissed as a recycle of Roja but it did finally go one to become a hit.

So here comes the "Minnale" fame Harris Jeyaraj with his second creation- "Majnu". The expectations after "Minnale are now sky high. He is dubbed by ARR fans as a ARR clone and IR fans as a splendid competition for ARR, albeit 1 level lower than IR. so enough of preview and now to the songs in the eyes(ears) of a common man.

I am writing this review and all my comments and ratings are immediatley on first impression. If this were an ARR album. Firts impressions arent a good indicator. I dunno abt HJ

Gulmohar Malare:

This song will obviously be compared to pachai nirame because of the similarty in strings and the similar pace both songs have. Hariharan's voice is also all to familiar. But I personally choose to ignore the similarity. I feel this song independently has its appeal.
Good song . I can close my eyes and visualize myself in kashmir or a forest somewhere :-). Timmy and Anupama fade away as p[art of the back ground and are not noticable.

Rating: 7/10.

Hari Gori:

sounds like punjabi folk but I cant place my finger on its category, it falls into the category of "velli Malare" in jodi. A good pleasant song rendered by Anuradha Sriram, Ganga, Febi, Tippu, Karthik, Devan Anuradha Sriram, Ganga, Febi, Tippu, Karthik, Devan febi, anuradha sriram, devan, ganga tippu and karthik.

Rating: 6/10

Mercury Melea: Another fast paced song like the one "samba samba" in Love birds. But sorry for the ARR comparison, I dont suggest its similar but just trying to categorize. This songs is a sort of a rap-ish hip-hopish pop song. although "hussuse hussuse" meaning is something we need to start an R&D effort. More meaningless pseudo-words because lyricist cant think of any better. Its like the olden day drama where if the actors forget dialogues they will laugh loudly until they remember them.

Rating: 7/10

Mudhal Kanave:

This certainly will be compared to "ivan yaaro, ivan yaaro" from minnale. But this song really seduces you. And except the beginning I wudnt dare say there r similarities with "ivan yaaro". Bombay Jayashre who is coming back into cinema prominence after "narumugaye" and "vaseegara" and Harish raghavendra have rendered this song. Both voices really awesome. the humming in the middle is slightly jarring and couldve been avoided.

Rating 7.5/10.

Pada Pada Pattampoochi:

This is a Hindi style song. In old hindi movies there will be a men group on stage singing and on the other side u will have a female group competing with them on the song. This song is similar to such songs . I have an irresistable urge to compare it with "varaha nadhi karai oram" but again will resist the comparison :-)
Other than the obvious Shankar Mahadevan, this song features Krishnaraj and Kavitha subramaniam.

Rating: 6/10

Pinju Thendrale: Sung by MG Sreekumar and Sandhya. A slow, sort of semi-sogam kind of song with non-chalant music in the BG. Again I have the irresistable urge to compare with "en mel vizhunda mazhai thuliye" from Maymadham But I will resist the urge again :-). this song moves from being gazal-ish to carnatic music kindish. I actually like this song. Sandhya's voice jitters in high pitch:-). At the end of the song HJ has done a different kinding of mixing to get sandhyas voice starting new lines in quick sucession.

Rating : 7/10

In summary I wud say this album is definitely worth buying. Like rahul Dravid and ARR, HJ has made only an average impression in the second round. Maybe like the Indian team he should've played his second innings first :-)

Overall Album rating: 7/10.

muthal kanevey
harish jeyraj

Reviewed by sri ganesha (@ tp-70-203.tm.net.my) on: Mon Aug 13 11:46:01 EDT 2001

i think this this album is also good as minele,the songs in majnu are all very intersting.so u people out there,start buying ur cd b4 u miss it.

Manathai Thirudi Vittai
Yuvan Shankar Raja

Reviewed by Madhav (@ 62.7.76.188) on: Sun Sep 30 16:02:50 EDT 2001

This album has a total of 6 songs on it which I shall be reviewing.

1) AZAGHANA SOORIYAN - Sujatha
A very slow and melodious track.The feel is groovy and Sujatha's voice adds perfection to an already great song.The orchestration is well aranged and the usage of subtle drum beats can be seen here

Song rating 9.5/10

2)COLOUR COLOUR - Chitra Sivaraman
This track shows a different side of YSR's music. It almost feels like hearing an IR style song,except it has modern influences.The first interlude is catchy with an irish folk style incorporated into it.Chitra sings in Anupama style which is interesting as her previous tracks don't show this power in her voice.

Song Rating 9/10

3)HOLIDAY JOLLYDAY - Shankar Mahadevan + Yuvanshankar Raja.
This track has a latin feel to it,but we can see all styles of music in in.From soul to r&b and Jazz to pop.You can feel hints of the 60's and 70's in this song and you can imagine Carey Grant dancing to it as in his musicals.
SM and YSR have sung this track well,but I feel that after Ithu Kathala, this is the best that I have heard YSR's vocals.A very innovative track.

Song Rating 9/10

4)KUTTI KUTTI - Sadhana Sargam.
A folk tune with a cool beat.The vocals are excellent and the orchestration in great with good riffs throughout the sing.

Song Rating 8/10

5)MANJA KAATU MAINA - T.Karthik + Sadhana Sargam.
A fast and infectious song that makes you want to tap your feet.It has a flowing tune with well thoughout interludes.A nice acoustic guitar piece can be heard at the start of the song.
In my opinion, the best song on the album.

Song Rating 10/10

6)SADU GUDU - Hariharan + Bhavatharani
Another folk song with a slight techno fusion happeneing.Maybe inspired by the song Happy Face by Destiny's Child.(I am not saying copied!) Hariharan has sung well as usual but I feel Bhavatharani has not done justice for this song.The rating has been affected by this only.

Song Rating 7.5/10

Overall another feather in the well stocked cap of YSR.It is nice to see such a wide range of styles and influences in his music.It keeps us in suspense because none of his albums are like any of his others so it is even more difficult to determine his unique style of music.
I feel YSR will be a long lasting presence in TFM as he has all the necesssary ingredients to be a great M.D Well done YSR.
A small word of caution however is that maybe YSR can refrain from using Bhavatharani in his songs as he is losing potential hits by using her.

manathai thirudivittAi
Yuvan Shankar Raja

Reviewed by For 'cosmician' (@ 172.147.30.91) on: Thu Oct 18 18:32:38 EDT 2001

From: cosmician (@ 194.170.127.53) on: Sat Sep 22 12:24:39 EDT 2001

Song 1 : Azhagana Sooriyan - Sujatha
Starts with a cool groove and Sujatha's melodious voice picks up. Quite pleasant. Too early to pass judgement.

Song 2 : Colour Colour - Chitra Sivaraman?
Quite in contrast to the earlier song's
voice ..interludes are richer..not just electronica..strings et al..sounds like the digital avatar of IR..

Song 3 : Holiday Jollyday - the man himself YSR
Cool congo fill ins...touches of jazz, rhythm and blues mixed with pop and rock....the second charanams take you back to the 60s...definitely he has been asked to take clues from Mambowhatsisname?and Ricky Martin.

Song 4 : Kutti Kutti - Sadhana Sargam
The beat is similar to the "Koothu" number from TI but has got some interesting developments...quite melodious

Song 5 : Manja Kaatu Maina - Karthik?, Sadhana Sargam
One of the best numbers in this album...definitely to feature in all the top 10 countdowns...

Song 6 : Sadu Gudu - HH, BD
Nice folkish number..with touches of his "Vathikuchi"...

Wouldnt like to judge on my first hearing...a quality album..I'll give it a few more hearings...my favourites are Colour Colur for its music and Manja Kaatu Maina...Sadu Gudu may come into my list...
"Dheena" had better hooks into the songs...this album seems to miss it maybe because the subject of the film rules out any possibilities of techno-wizardry and with Prabhu Deva slipping out of his dancing shoes and donning on Romantic gear...but this is only my first hearing

MAJNU
Harris Jayraj

Reviewed by HEMANT (@ 202.9.128.219) on: Sat Feb 9 09:07:45 EST 2002

Well....when I first heard this Album...I being a vivid ARR fan was a little surprised as the style seemed to be simlar & catchy to ARR.
Gettin down to this Album ...after Minnalae this album is a slight let down by HJ as people were expectin a lot & ive heard that this flick was offered to HJ earlier than Minnalae. Even then...the songs sound good with lot of inspiration seemingly seeping in from Rahman.
" MUTHAL KANNAVE" is a really seducing number which really carries U along with it.It has been rendered beautifully by the singers & it cannot be classified into a particular genre of music. Exremely catchy number.
" PADA PADA " is fast & folk style but is also seemingly flavoured from hindi music. HJ has used Shankar Mahadevan's already jaded & overused Alaaps well in this song giving it a sort of meaning. Nice well paced catchy number.
" GULMUHOR MALARE" is a song which is ok....the chorus used is catchy but then the other parts of the song seem to fade away behind the chorus...looks like HJ has built the song on the chorus.
" HARI GORI " is a really catchy song though painfully shorter than one expects it to be. Nice use of the singers(chorus) giving it a sort of a folk feel with a few interwoven patterns of Dandia(seemingly non existent) & good catchy music & beats.
"MERCURY MELAI " feels as though the song has been forcefully made or something...there is no flow...it seems to be abrupt with the lyrics crameed giving it an awkward feel. The lyrics are humorous at times but the song in an attempy to be fast paced loses on its soul it was originally intended to render. An overt attempt to create the ARR feel going beserk.
The other songs are also above average. An album worth buying though if U like the ARR style aped & refused.

Ae ! Nee Romba Azhaga irukka
All New Music Directors

Reviewed by Harikrishnan (@ 202.33.124.22) on: Sat Apr 27 01:02:05 EDT 2002

Here is the short review abt this excellent album ..
Songs are damn good ,new sound ,Music is good and fresh , above all lyrics for all the songs are very good ,spl credits to Pa.Vijay ,pazhani bharati and Thamarai

1.Ininanum Naanialai -by srinivas & sujatha - this song is very good only soft song in the album with some string instruments in it ..lyrics for the song is so sweet and is by thamarai ...lyric really extract the love feeling ..very sweet song ..sujatha and srini has done a gr8 job in this song excellent and clean melody by srinivas ..thanks to u srini

2.Thottu Thottu sellum - has some diff chorus throughout the song .very very catchy number .lyrics by Pahzanibharati ..lyric is damn good ..very well crafted song ..u'll really feel to love somebody after the song .

3.Yamini Yamini - music by aravind-shankar .. this one is also indeed a good song but when u can listen to this song u'll feel that it resembles some old songs ..veena ( I think) in b/w saranam is very pleasant .. lyrics by Pa.vijay .

4. Poisollalam - music by Murugavel ,lyric by Pa.vijay .First amazing thing abt this song is its lyric .it’s the song where two lovers are telling lies to each other vijay has done the best job using this gr8 situation of the song very cute song ..has lot of peppy line .well done vijay ..i initially thought the lyric is by vairamuthu (my favorite ) ..it has vairamuthu style of narrating the love quarrels ...any way its original job by vijay i love this song a fast beat song ..even starts like rap and goes to Jazz ..starting music is from dr.albans album other than that it’s a wonderful song ..the best and catchy no in the album ..defenitely it will top the charts .

5.Kadhal vandhucho - music by raghav-raja ..lyric by thamarai again a fast number ..very well sung by shankar mahadevan ..seems like raghav-raja are s/w engg like me ..gr8 job done by the duo .. kudos to u guys gr8 fusion song with carnatic lines in b/w ..song is very well built by shankar mahadevan

Overall it is an excellent album worth to get the CDs ..thumpy album after a long time u can feel the fresh music and lyric ..i hope this music album will break all the records ..go and get ur copy as soon as possible any comments pls mail me to meetuasap@rediffmail.com

kadhal samrajiyam
yuvan shanker raaja

Reviewed by raguraam (@ 202.9.169.190) on: Tue Jul 30 23:23:03 EDT 2002

song 1.
the song was intended to be peeppy but it is not, but the saving grace is agathiyan's modern lyrics but the song is quiet passable

song 2. eru kangal sollum

very very great song how the young guy got it, oopps great the new singers have done ttheir job well

song 3.

please leave it

song 4.
a theme music but very short to give a comment

song 5
repeat of song 2

song 6 mullipoo

these song is sung by yugi, venkat and spb charen great lyrics good composing

song 7 sithanavasal

a good song by spb it has lot of 1970's rock content in it, but the tune is refreshing and new

song 8 vidincha kalyanam
sung by chitra sivaraman
remains of nerrupu kuthadikkudhu
nothing more

song which i left out forgottenly was
tholi thola by karthick
avery good number it can be compared to thenrallae from kadal desam a very good number

i prefer to buy an audiocassete but not an cd
give me ur reply at raguraamkrishna@yahoo.com

ALBUM
Karthik RAja

Reviewed by Peter Pan (@ 64.238.117.125) on: Thu Aug 22 12:16:15 EDT 2002

ALBUM Review

Karthik Raja, take a bow!!!!
----------------------------------

Kathal Vanoli

An amazing melody!! And a very refreshing composition!
Starts off with Reeti Gowlai, then there’s an interesting interlude transition, followed by the female voice in raga ‘Gowri manOhari’.. which towards the end becomes Dharmavathy!!
I am not a Sadhana Sargam fan when it comes to her pronunciation, (I like her voice) but I must admit she has improved tremendously in that departmnent and renders this song very well.
I keep pressing the REWIND button for this song!!
One of the better compositions in recent times!

Chellamai Chellam

Welcome aboard Shreya Ghoshal!! For a Bengali teenager, that too a first timer she has rendered this Tamil number very well, without any major mispronunciation or accent. Her debut in Devdas was great, and in Tamil, she does a cool job rendering Karthik Raja’s composition. Hariharan does his usual soft-rendition. The interludes are fine. I guess the raga is KeeravANi. (The song reminds me of Kadhalukku MariyAthai’s ‘Ennai thAlAtta varuvALA’). Makes good listening!

En Ammukutti, bujjukutti, poonakutti…. Hmm.. oray konjal lyrics.
The ‘Tell Me now, tell me now’ could have been avoided.

PiLLai thAmarai
is a very soothing, slow-paced number in the raga, 'BrindAvana SAranga'.
The way the melody progresses, the violin arrangements, the interesting use of tabla and drums, all of it makes it a classy composition.

Madhu balakrishnan is one of my favorite singers today (‘Ethilum Ingu’ from Bharathy was a classic, so was ‘Chanda Ee Chanda’ from KR’s kannada film ‘Hoo Anthiya Ohho Anthiya’). He is this generation’s Yesudas-Jayachandran combined together with a very good voice and almost negligible accent. However like many have pointed out, his mispronunciation of vizhi as viLi really is unforgivable! That too because the word vizhi appears a dozen times, throughout the song!!! ;) Wonder why KR or the lyricist or anyone in the recording room never pointed out???

Nilave Nilave

Looks like a communist kind of song, though on the outset it appears to be a fun-song. (My guess is the hero is inclined to leftist ideals).. Note the chorus line ‘Che Guevara’. I guess they are referring to the revolutionary fighter ‘Che’ Ernest Guevara (a doctor, who was also a military leader, an economist all rolled into one). The following lyrics have the typical today’s Oh-Podu kind of quality. Perhaps will appeal to the young crowd. Interestingly it is based on raga ‘Shuddha DhanyAsi’. Shankar’s rendition is decent. Can’t help thinking that SPB would have brought in a lot of ‘enthu’ and ‘emotion’ to the song.

ThathaLikkudhe ThAvi kudhikkudhe

A good chorus song. It has interesting interludes, foot-tapping with decent lyrics (thank God there are no Tanglish kind of cheap lyrics here). Combination of Kapi (Pilu), KedAram.. If not for some parts of the orchestration which use modern sounds, it could easily pass off as a song from the old Tamil classic, ‘Guleba kAvali’ or ‘Thookki Thookki’! That is a compliment!

ThAzhampoo ThalavAsam

A nice folkish song. After a long time we get to listen to IR in a naughty, joyous duet.
Good lyrics, complimented by involved singing by Sadhana and IR!
A great combination of Sriranjani and Gambeera nAttai.
I loved IR-Sadhana’s sweet AlApana in the 2nd interlude. Though not in the leagues of ‘Poo mAlayE’ and ‘Sangathil pAdAtha Kavithai’, this duet has its own quality.

Overall, I was VERY VERY pleased with this album. It’s definitely a must-buy!
Looking forward to the CD release in the US!

kaadhal kondaen
yuvan shankar raja

Reviewed by lakshminarayanan (@ 202.9.148.122) on: Sat Feb 1 13:55:37 EST 2003

well,after a very long time, a wonderful album has come out.it is so much of an effort so that you could just wonder how hard could people work to make an album a hit..
i just bought it with out expecting anything..i heard once and some thing touched me inside..i heard it again and some thing was moving inside..i heard it again and god it is so nice i just want to hear it for the times to come..

song 1: devathai kandaen: it is a simple ballad..very good lyrics..noboy can imagine that sad song could be like this..harish is simply wonderful..10/10

2: manasu rendum: again classical example of yuvans capablity to mix western and classical..where the vocals are classical the back ground music is western..great song..particularly the second bgm is outstanding..some arabian touch ..violins,drums everything mixing to give us a great feel..sankar mahadeven is like god..when he sings we melt..a real world class song 10/10

3: nenjodu: unnikrishnan and sujatha creat magic..bagpiper is wonderful..particularly when sujatha finishes her portion and unni starts you can feel the tears inside your eyes..sujatha could have sung better.. but the orchestra is superb 9/10

4: theme is very short to comment on

5: kaadhal: i tell you..vijay yesudas is going to make waves..this song has its own class..when you listen to it in the evening you will fall in love..great song 10/10

6:thottu: wow...lyrics are just wonderful...listening to all these stupid film songs this comes really as a treat..muthukumar did an amazing job..his comman of language is wojnderful..chart topper 10/10

7: 18 vayathil: i object to some of the lyrics..but the music is nice..this will be played in clubs in discos..nice try in trance..first time..9/10

over all best i have heard in last ten years...go for it

Post comments